Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best buffer - 16" middy?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Best buffer - 16" middy?

I'm currently using a H buffer with my 16" mid length. I had read in the 14.5" mid length threads that some tried H3 buffers, but that they were borderline with light training ammo. Could I reliably run the H3 in my 16 or would the H2 be the best bet?
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    my opinion and experience- an H buffer in a 16" mid with a standard carrier is appropriate. something heavier might run, but all you're doing at that point is sacrificing some degree of reliability for minuscule improvements in recoil management.

Feedback Score
    The H buffer is a good compromise for running all kinds of ammo weak to strong. As you increase the buffer weight, you ensure the rifle runs with the strong stuff mostly.
    H2 and higher buffers should be brought to the table if you are seeing over gassed performance, bolt bounce or you are limited to strong NATO spec ammo only.

Remember that different companies make their barrel gas ports to different sizes, some are large and vomit a blast of gas into your rifle to make it run no matter the ammo. Really depends on how your rifle is running

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    I'm currently using a H buffer with my 16" mid length. I had read in the 14.5" mid length threads that some tried H3 buffers, but that they were borderline with light training ammo. Could I reliably run the H3 in my 16 or would the H2 be the best bet?
    In general an H some midlengths feel better with H2s.
    Midlengths feel really good with the new VLTOR USMC A5 receiver extension, buffer and spring.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    In general an H some midlengths feel better with H2s.
    Midlengths feel really good with the new VLTOR USMC A5 receiver extension, buffer and spring.
    could you run the buffer/spring combo in a UBR? Or is there something different about the inside of the A5 receiver extension?
    Last edited by MTechnik; 09-29-10 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    The A5 RE is longer than the standard carbine RE to accommodate the length of the M16A2 spring. Not sure by how much exactly but it has 7 positions instead of the usual 6.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Col Crocs. I guess I'll just spend the dimes on an H and ST-2 buffers, replacing the carbine buffer, and see how it works for me...

It is a bit off topic, but will an H buffer (in a UBR or carbine length extension) work with a rifle length upper (20" barrel)? Not that it's tough to switch out to the carbine buffer when changing uppers.
    Last edited by MTechnik; 09-30-10 at 06:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd use an H buffer regularly, should work for most everything you can find to shoot. An H2 might feel a bit softer, but it may not cycle as reliably with lower pressured ammo.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I use an H2 in my 14.5" and an H buffer in my 16", both midlengths. No issues.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-30-10 at 11:41.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I run an H3 in my 16in Middy and have had no issues. I mostly shoot the Federal value pack ammo. I'm going to order a case of brown bear and see how that functions though. I may have to move down to an H or H2.
    Last edited by Mr. Goodtimes; 09-30-10 at 11:45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast