Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Thread: Military Times article on new 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Feedback Score
    True about subsonic.

Unlike previous iterations, the 300 AAC BLACKOUT is primarily a supersonic / normal cartridge designed to allow people to shoot 30 caliber bullets in an AR with a normal bolt and magazines.

So for example, the brass length is limited to be compatible with normal magazines and if it were any longer, you would not be able to use normal magazines.

Feedback Score
    In general, subsonic rifle ammo is very niche specific and rarely used except for very specific tasks. I can count on one hand the number of organizations I know of that have actually needed to routinely use suppressed subsonic rifle projectiles in the real world. Subsonic rifle ammo is going to be below 1150 f/s...it then acts like a non-deforming handgun bullet and does NOT possess typical rifle projectile terminal effects. Subsonic rifle ammunition has no place and offers no advantages in typical LE and civilian self-defense scenarios.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Has there been any published gel testing of .30 cal subsonic rifle projos?

Feedback Score
    No published ones that I am aware of, but it is not dramatic. The bullet goes in, after a few inches it yaws 180 degrees and exits base forward--basically it punches a simple hole with minimal TC stretch effects.

Feedback Score
    I plan to get subsonic expanding ammo made, but there are six other loads I have in line before it.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 10-01-11 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    In general, subsonic rifle ammo is very niche specific and rarely used except for very specific tasks. I can count on one hand the number of organizations I know of that have actually needed to routinely use suppressed subsonic rifle projectiles in the real world. Subsonic rifle ammo is going to be below 1150 f/s...it then acts like a non-deforming handgun bullet and does NOT possess typical rifle projectile terminal effects. Subsonic rifle ammunition has no place and offers no advantages in typical LE and civilian self-defense scenarios.
    I am no ballistics expert but in the LE world, subsonic ammo could be used as a tool. In an entry situation, subsonic ammo could be used to take out a street light or two for cover of darkness and then a quick switch to the hot stuff for entry. Even though the ammo is hotter and louder, it would still be suppressed for inside work.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I am no ballistics expert but in the LE world, subsonic ammo could be used as a tool. In an entry situation, subsonic ammo could be used to take out a street light or two for cover of darkness and then a quick switch to the hot stuff for entry. Even though the ammo is hotter and louder, it would still be suppressed for inside work.
    While I see the potential benefit of this idea, it seems unreasonably dangerous to the general public anywhere but in a remote wilderness. That heavy, high-BC subsonic bullet projected at a high angle could go at least hundreds of yards if you miss the light, or possibly even if you do hit it depending how much damage or deflection is caused to the bullet. Some quick numbers in a ballistic computer suggest that simply shooting at something 20 yards away that is 3 feet higher than the muzzle would result in landing 1000 yards away at 830fps (220gr bullet MV 1050fps .6 BC). I expect the landing zone would be significantly farther with a higher angle.

Feedback Score
    That is more of a crime novel plot. No one in LE should be shooting up in the air. The benefit is not worth the risk. Military is another matter.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post

I think we are all using pellet guns for lights, with an occasional .22 available.
    Last edited by Stickman; 10-01-11 at 22:36.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My boss had a MP 5SD for street lights when he was on the department he retired from.I never did any of that stuff so I wouldn't know.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast