Thread: What handguard to get for wife's lightweight build?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What handguard to get for wife's lightweight build?

Doing up a very lightweight build for the wife's AR.

ASA side-charging upper (her choice - she hates the regular charging handle on an AR)

Daniel Defense pencil barrel 14.5" 1:7 twist

YHM 5C2 flash suppressor

Daniel Defense low-pro clamp on gas block (.625)

Having a problem figuring out a handguard.

She has short arms and small hands. I don't really see the need for her to have a handguard longer than absolutely necessary. I also don't want it to be hard on her hands (i.e. I don't want it to cut into her hands)

So, I was considering:

http://www.apexcncmachine.com/

I've not heard of these guys and have no idea how good their handguards are, or what the cost is. I assume I'd need to get the 7.125" carbine handguards - weight is 9.73 oz which includes the mounting hardware.

Also considering:

Troy TRX Extreme

Don't know what rail size to get - if I get the 7.2" will that work? It says in the literature that it is for an AR with the FSB, but I assume that if I have the LowPro gas block it will simply stick out and be exposed - not a biggie, I guess.

Or would the 7.6" cover that up partially - again the literature says that the "7.6" TRX M7 Extreme BattleRail (Only for Pistol Length Gas Systems) " - don't know if that means I can't use it for my setup.

Trying to find weights on all of these so as to compare properly.

Appreciate any assistance or help here, as well as other ideas for lightweight FF handguards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

TRX

The TRX 7.6 will not work with a conventional FSB. You will need a low profile gas block, and use a flip front BUIS.

The TRX 7.2 will work with a conventional FSB.

Any TRX will likely be the lightest handguard option you can find these days.

Feedback Score
    Why not just use the MOE handguard?

Otherwise, I like the TRX Extreme - the smaller diameter is really easy to grip, especially if she has small hands. I also like the look of that Apex. I think the folks that make it post here.

If you do go with the apex, let us know how it is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Why not just use the MOE handguard?

Otherwise, I like the TRX Extreme - the smaller diameter is really easy to grip, especially if she has small hands. I also like the look of that Apex. I think the folks that make it post here.

If you do go with the apex, let us know how it is.
    When I considered the cost savings of a MOE, plus the fact it isn't FF, and it weighs MORE with the delta ring, handguard cap, and has no rails unless added, plus I'd have to get a railed gas block, it sort of was a no-brainer to go with a FF.

Think I'll be getting the TRX extreme

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One concern I have is that on Troy's website and in other adverts I see it says that the 7.6" is "only for pistol length gas systems" - is this an error in their ad or are they just saying this because the rails doesn't cover up the low-pro gas block and as long as I'm OK with that it isn't an issue?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have the Troy 7.6 on my lightweight and it will work fine. Here is a link with some pic’s

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52517

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A dremel with cutoff wheel and green or orange grinding/sanding drums will make your FSB into a lo-pro gas block and you'll have no alignment issues because it's pinned. About a 30 minute job. Hit it with some black paint after finishing.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTRocks View Post
    A dremel with cutoff wheel and green or orange grinding/sanding drums will make your FSB into a lo-pro gas block and you'll have no alignment issues because it's pinned. About a 30 minute job. Hit it with some black paint after finishing.
    This is a from-scratch build, so I'll be using a barrel with no FSB already installed or gas tube.

Feedback Score
    Missed this when it was an active discussion, but wanted to address a couple things, even a week later. If weight is the primary concern the Troy will beat out the Apex because the Apex utilizes the steel barrel nut, where Troy uses a proprietary aluminum nut. The advantages of both have been endlessly tossed about, so no need to rehash here. As far as diameter goes, both are considerably smaller than other Tube style free floats. Other than strength and grip surface, the real advantage of the Apex Handguard, in cases like this with, I assume a pinned muzzle device, is that it can be removed and replaced without cutting off the FH/comp.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001574265518

Feedback Score

extremely well crafted robust handguard...

not quite as light at the Troy Xtreme

You might also consider the PRI tube...you can get it with the light
    wt barrel nut directly from PRI..add rails where you want them...

the mid length version with your lo pro gas block should work just fine.
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.