Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 yard Zero

Feedback Score

50 yard Zero

Hello, Everyone

I've been doing research one which Zero would be best overall for a M4; so far I have gotten alot of people are saying to go with a 50 yard Zero vs the U.S Army's Standard 25 yard zero.

I found the following data: (from AR15armory.org)

" If You want to shoot 15-100y for most of your shooting. With your current zero you will be ~6" high at 100y depending on barrel length and ammo. Since 25y is your zero, everything beyond that will be high, ~2.2" high at 50y, 6" at 100y, ~8" high at 150y and ~9" high at 200y. Your numbers will be worse than a Mil zero (numbers given by TS above) because that zero target you used is really a 31y zero because it requires adding elevation to zero (the z setting on the elevation knob on the carry handle iron sights, 8/3 or 6/3+ 1) and then backing down to 8/3 or 6/3 for your battlesight zero.

If you use a 50y zero, then you will be ~1.2" low at 25y, dead on at 50y, ~1.5" high at 100y, ~.5" high at 200y. See these charts for a very good description and recommendations from the Army Marksmanship Unit. AMU zeroing data "

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/Servic...-M4%20data.pdf

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/...LBS_Target.pdf

I'm Using a Eotech 511, on a yankee hill raiser; iron sights are alerady zero'd. Just trying to figure out how to get setup here.

Does anybody know if they make 50 Yard laser boresight Target Like the Eotech one ? I know some People in the Army/Military have a AKO account with different documents or files for Targets i heard.
    Last edited by skunkhaze; 09-30-10 at 15:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am a big fan of the 50 yard zero. My dept uses them on our patrol rifles and it is the best zero for a carbine IMO.

No need to mess with your sights from 0-300 yards. 400 yards requires a bit of hold over but not to bad.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

[QUOTE=Magic_Salad0892;1823265]THIS THREAD WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT CHRISTMAS GIFTS, NOT MY CRABS!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hmm the max rise on a 25 yard zero is 7"? Other charts I've seen say its a rise of 10"

I like the 50 yard zeros myself

Feedback Score
    What would be the best way to setup a M4 for a 50 yard zero? Can't seem to find any laser boresight targets for 50 yards for red-dots/eotechs
    Last edited by skunkhaze; 09-30-10 at 15:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Setup a bullseye target at 50y and shoot it...

There's been a few threads on this, checkout the optics subforum.

Here's a good thread and a pdf to start you out.
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35064

http://grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf
    Last edited by devilsdeeds; 09-30-10 at 15:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkhaze View Post
    Hello, Everyone

I've been doing research one which Zero would be best overall for a M4; so far I have gotten alot of people are saying to go with a 50 yard Zero vs the U.S Army's Standard 25 yard zero.

I found the following data: (from AR15armory.org)

" If You want to shoot 15-100y for most of your shooting. With your current zero you will be ~6" high at 100y depending on barrel length and ammo. Since 25y is your zero, everything beyond that will be high, ~2.2" high at 50y, 6" at 100y, ~8" high at 150y and ~9" high at 200y. Your numbers will be worse than a Mil zero (numbers given by TS above) because that zero target you used is really a 31y zero because it requires adding elevation to zero (the z setting on the elevation knob on the carry handle iron sights, 8/3 or 6/3+ 1) and then backing down to 8/3 or 6/3 for your battlesight zero.

If you use a 50y zero, then you will be ~1.2" low at 25y, dead on at 50y, ~1.5" high at 100y, ~.5" high at 200y. See these charts for a very good description and recommendations from the Army Marksmanship Unit. AMU zeroing data "

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/Servic...-M4%20data.pdf

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/...LBS_Target.pdf

I'm Using a Eotech 511, on a yankee hill raiser; iron sights are alerady zero'd. Just trying to figure out how to get setup here.

Does anybody know if they make 50 Yard laser boresight Target Like the Eotech one ? I know some People in the Army/Military have a AKO account with different documents or files for Targets i heard.
    300 meter zero is the standard Army Zero. The 25 yard zero is used to approximate a 300M zero, for time saving purposes. Same as for the 50M or yard zero is used for a 200 (225) yard zero. It's damn close, but you should always zero at the furthest distance as a final check.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkhaze View Post
    What would be the best way to setup a M4 for a 50 yard zero? Can't seem to find any laser boresight targets for 50 yards for red-dots/eotechs
    Start close 10-20 yards get on the paper then move back some more shoot repeat before you know it your sighted at 50 yards. Sandbags and a makeshift bench are what I use for the fine tuning. You can draw a dot on a peice of paper or cardboard and aim at it. No need for special targets. With good optics i like to shoot a hole then aim for it to make little groups...fun

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast