Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 yard Zero

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

50 yard Zero

Hello, Everyone

I've been doing research one which Zero would be best overall for a M4; so far I have gotten alot of people are saying to go with a 50 yard Zero vs the U.S Army's Standard 25 yard zero.

I found the following data: (from AR15armory.org)

" If You want to shoot 15-100y for most of your shooting. With your current zero you will be ~6" high at 100y depending on barrel length and ammo. Since 25y is your zero, everything beyond that will be high, ~2.2" high at 50y, 6" at 100y, ~8" high at 150y and ~9" high at 200y. Your numbers will be worse than a Mil zero (numbers given by TS above) because that zero target you used is really a 31y zero because it requires adding elevation to zero (the z setting on the elevation knob on the carry handle iron sights, 8/3 or 6/3+ 1) and then backing down to 8/3 or 6/3 for your battlesight zero.

If you use a 50y zero, then you will be ~1.2" low at 25y, dead on at 50y, ~1.5" high at 100y, ~.5" high at 200y. See these charts for a very good description and recommendations from the Army Marksmanship Unit. AMU zeroing data "

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/Servic...-M4%20data.pdf

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/...LBS_Target.pdf

I'm Using a Eotech 511, on a yankee hill raiser; iron sights are alerady zero'd. Just trying to figure out how to get setup here.

Does anybody know if they make 50 Yard laser boresight Target Like the Eotech one ? I know some People in the Army/Military have a AKO account with different documents or files for Targets i heard.
    Last edited by skunkhaze; 09-30-10 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am a big fan of the 50 yard zero. My dept uses them on our patrol rifles and it is the best zero for a carbine IMO.

No need to mess with your sights from 0-300 yards. 400 yards requires a bit of hold over but not to bad.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hmm the max rise on a 25 yard zero is 7"? Other charts I've seen say its a rise of 10"

I like the 50 yard zeros myself

Feedback Score
    What would be the best way to setup a M4 for a 50 yard zero? Can't seem to find any laser boresight targets for 50 yards for red-dots/eotechs
    Last edited by skunkhaze; 09-30-10 at 14:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Setup a bullseye target at 50y and shoot it...

There's been a few threads on this, checkout the optics subforum.

Here's a good thread and a pdf to start you out.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35064

http://grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf
    Last edited by devilsdeeds; 09-30-10 at 14:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkhaze View Post
    What would be the best way to setup a M4 for a 50 yard zero? Can't seem to find any laser boresight targets for 50 yards for red-dots/eotechs
    Start close 10-20 yards get on the paper then move back some more shoot repeat before you know it your sighted at 50 yards. Sandbags and a makeshift bench are what I use for the fine tuning. You can draw a dot on a peice of paper or cardboard and aim at it. No need for special targets. With good optics i like to shoot a hole then aim for it to make little groups...fun

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    remove the upper and the bcg from the upper. secure the upper in a solid rest. look through the bore at something at 50 yds. bring the sight into alignment with that. confirm by actually firing the gun...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score

Thumbs up The old school way

I do the old school zero as ra2bach mentioned. Most shooters in this area want a 100 yard zero. So my zero is a little different but the mechanics are just about the same. I use a 1 1/2 blaze orange paste at 100 yard and refer scope to barrel picture. I have a periscope that fits in the chamber for my aging eyes. I would also say that zero is more or less mission/shooter specific and you can't say that one is better then the other. I'm old Corps, and now my shooting days are more of metal and paper targets so I use the old 300 yard zero(scopes and irons, red dot is at 100). But I'm sure it's not what a LEO or CQB guy would want to use.
    To each his own and what gets the job done.

Stay safe gents.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have used 300 yard zeroes (BZOs), 50 yard zeroes, 200 yard zeroes, 100 yard zeroes, and all the above in meters as well.

For shooting out to 200 meters, I have found the 100 yard/meter zero to be the easiest to deal with as far as hold-overs go if using an optic. You don't have to deal with any hold-unders for the entire trajectory, it is twice as forgiving at close range as far as hold-over goes, has the longest portion of POA/POI, and that POA/POI is at the most relevant threat distance where POA/POI most benefits the shooter. Further, most magnified optics with a BDC or range-relevent elevation adjustments are zeroed at 100, therefore there is more inherent crossover skill when changing between optics/guns.

A lot of shooters drastically overestimate their effective engagement range with M4 type weapons, or assume that if most threats will be inside 25 yards that a 25 yard zero will make the most sense. Both errors cause the shooter to have to deal with more things to compute when bullets need to find their mark. It's a lot easier to do on a flat range with clearly marked firing lines and distances with mental prep time and low stress. It is a much different problem when in the middle of a gunfight. Weighing zero against zero, and simply numbering pro's against con's does not give sufficient weight to the most pressing and life-threatening aspects. If you can have targets appear at unknown distances between 3 and 100 meters and be able to apply your hold-off to achieve a hit on the CNS without hesitation (and be correct), you and your zero are in harmony. If you can't, or if your hold-offs are tied to numerical distances in your memory, you are not. What it boils down to (to me) is that achieving that harmony is easier with a 100 meter zero than any other.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Hello, Everyone

I've been doing research one which Zero would be best overall for a M4; so far I have gotten alot of people are saying to go with a 50 yard Zero vs the U.S Army's Standard 25 yard zero.

I found the following data: (from AR15armory.org)

" If You want to shoot 15-100y for most of your shooting. With your current zero you will be ~6" high at 100y depending on barrel length and ammo. Since 25y is your zero, everything beyond that will be high, ~2.2" high at 50y, 6" at 100y, ~8" high at 150y and ~9" high at 200y. Your numbers will be worse than a Mil zero (numbers given by TS above) because that zero target you used is really a 31y zero because it requires adding elevation to zero (the z setting on the elevation knob on the carry handle iron sights, 8/3 or 6/3+ 1) and then backing down to 8/3 or 6/3 for your battlesight zero.

If you use a 50y zero, then you will be ~1.2" low at 25y, dead on at 50y, ~1.5" high at 100y, ~.5" high at 200y. See these charts for a very good description and recommendations from the Army Marksmanship Unit. AMU zeroing data "

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/Servic...-M4%20data.pdf

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/...LBS_Target.pdf

I'm Using a Eotech 511, on a yankee hill raiser; iron sights are alerady zero'd. Just trying to figure out how to get setup here.

Does anybody know if they make 50 Yard laser boresight Target Like the Eotech one ? I know some People in the Army/Military have a AKO account with different documents or files for Targets i heard.
    300 meter zero is the standard Army Zero. The 25 yard zero is used to approximate a 300M zero, for time saving purposes. Same as for the 50M or yard zero is used for a 200 (225) yard zero. It's damn close, but you should always zero at the furthest distance as a final check.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast