Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 yard Zero

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Rmpl,
    I'm taking a Vicker course in November and was reading the same thing about the 100 yard zero. I currently have mine zero'd at 50. I may change it for the class and then switch back afterwards. That's called being chicken and having to worry about being grilled as to why I went with a 50yd zero

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    100 yard zero has the max bullet rise at around 100 yards, anything after that is a holdover. Bullet basically rises and kisses its peak at near 100 yards before coming back down

I doubt Vickers will hound you over it, zeroes are personal preference.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I don't think he would give me much grief either. However, from what I've read here 50yard zero is what I will stick with. When I first went in the Army mid 80's 25/300 was what we were told and how we zero'd. 50yr/200m seems more practical over all though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    I know Larry Vickers does (or did) advocate for a 100yd zero and a few weeks back I was trying to find the posts that discussed why he chose 100yds over the much more common 50yds but never found the thread. I'm sure he has a good reason...

PREP threads for his classes say to have it zeroed at 100yds or prepare to know and answer why you chose another zero... (Cross-examined by Vickers doesn't sound fun)...

I zero at 50yds because I like that trajectory path for my possible needs and it is easy to zero at 50yds... My eyes can see the details of a 50yd target much clearer than I can a 100yd target...

As for laser boresights and all that stuff, forget it... Don't need it... Shoot at 25 yards and get that centered and an inch or so low... Then move to 50. You will be on paper and not too far off. Adjust as needed...

When putting on a new sight or scope, I seperate the upper and remove the BCG... I then peek through the barrel at some object and while holding the upper still I adjust the sight/scope to that object. Then you move to the 25yd paper... Really easy, honest...

Rmpl
    His former Unit (SFOD-D) used it (100M Zero) and it suited there purposes. As long as you can justify your zero, and you can hit accurately with it (and knowing your hold overs at varying distances), I'm sure LAV won't mind.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Sighting in at 50 yards puts you dead on at 50 (obviously) and about 225 and you are never more than 2 inches off.

IMO, it really is the best way to go.

Feedback Score

Target at 25 yards with Aimpoint zeroed at 50.
    Point of aim is the red dot; point of impact just over an inch low.

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    +1 to the 50 yard zero! I just sighted my new Aimpoint M4S in at 50 yards and was very pleased with the results. I sighted in using the bench of course but once I got it zeroed I started shooting while standing. Lets just say that I need more practice shooting off-hand like that. I've been watching the Magpul dvd's for the carbine and pistol but its definitely no substitute to actually going out and getting the trigger time. That being said my brother and I plan on making a range trip once a week from now on.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    50 yd zero for me. There's also a lot of good info in this thread with excellent graphs from Molon (look on page 3)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37069

There's one more zero thread that I can't track down right now
    Last edited by Icculus; 10-01-10 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkhaze View Post
    What would be the best way to setup a M4 for a 50 yard zero? Can't seem to find any laser boresight targets for 50 yards for red-dots/eotechs
    remove the upper and the bcg from the upper. secure the upper in a solid rest. look through the bore at something at 50 yds. bring the sight into alignment with that. confirm by actually firing the gun...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    +1 to the 50 yard zero! I just sighted my new Aimpoint M4S in at 50 yards and was very pleased with the results. I sighted in using the bench of course but once I got it zeroed I started shooting while standing. Lets just say that I need more practice shooting off-hand like that. I've been watching the Magpul dvd's for the carbine and pistol but its definitely no substitute to actually going out and getting the trigger time. That being said my brother and I plan on making a range trip once a week from now on.
    This is exactly right. IMO, way too many people spend all their time shooting their home defense/SHTF ARs from the bench. A while back it dawned on me that if I ever had to use an AR for defensive purposes it is almost guaranteed not to be from a comfortable bench. This is why I try to spend at least half the time shooting my AR’s standing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast