Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 50 yard Zero

Feedback Score

IRON SIGTS

That maybe in the far future but for now, and being a hot topic at this time in the MC, iron sights will be taught at entry level. I can only say until they have a near impossible to destroy optic or laser tracking small arms are standard issue...don't put those irons away. BUIS are popular for a reason. It's like saying you don't need to teach map & compass because we are so GPS dependent.
    Back to my original post: what would you zero at with.... Zero is like a base line and I was curious to what people would zero at being that you just took it out of the box. Still no answer from any of the CQB guys.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by barrelwrench View Post
    Still no answer from any of the CQB guys.
    I answered above.
    100 meter zero is the easiest zero for 3 to 200 meters(+/- depending on ammo).

And as far as optics and irons go, if you want to discuss it further, feel free to start a thread, but comparing modern optics and irons to compasses and GPSs is oversimplistic rhetoric.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 10-04-10 at 12:55. Reason: Optics and GPSs
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As I add to most threads on zero...

The other variable to consider in choosing a zero distance is the proficiency of the shooter. At what distance is the shooter capable of sufficient accuracy and consistency to accurately reflect where the gun is dialed in to?

In addition to it's trajectory, one of the reasons that the 50yd zero is so popular is that it is a distance at which many can still perform.

All this is especially important for those responsible for those other than themselves.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    The other variable to consider in choosing a zero distance is the proficiency of the shooter. At what distance is the shooter capable of sufficient accuracy and consistency to accurately reflect where the gun is dialed in to?
    One of the primary reasons I do a 50yd... My eyes cannot see a 100yd target sufficiently to zero in a reddot without magnification... Minute of man, sure, but to zero, no...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like JSantoro's approach: figure out what your vertical kill zone is and what your desired maximum point blank range is, and go from there.

50 meters works for me with an Aimpoint, but I'd be fine with 100 too. It would just mean using different holds at other ranges. This is where training matters. Know your holds and/or come-ups as appropriate for your optic.

I also like having a dependable iron sight that will support whatever range you want, in the field, repeatably. Either a cut down A2 rear sight or something like the KAC 200-600 m flip-up. You can do an improved BZO with a KAC flip-up and have repeatable settings for everything from 25 meters out to whatever, same as with a standard A2. Yeah I know... combat is not the same as Camp Perry, but if your rear sight supports multiple ranges without becoming a liability, I say go ahead and use it. It's infinitely better than fussing with a front sight tool or guessing holdover through a fixed rear sight.
    Last edited by kartoffel; 10-04-10 at 20:46. Reason: speling? wut is that?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I think this, more than anything else, is the reason for the popularity of the 50 yard zero. If you told these same people that a 25 yard was a viable alternative, or a 7 yard, they'd zero there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    One of the primary reasons I do a 50yd... My eyes cannot see a 100yd target sufficiently to zero in a reddot without magnification... Minute of man, sure, but to zero, no...

Rmpl
    Good point. Physical limitations should be factored in when adapting to the situation, gear or methods used to effect a desirable outcome.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think this, more than anything else, is the reason for the popularity of the 50 yard zero. If you told these same people that a 25 yard was a viable alternative, or a 7 yard, they'd zero there.
    A bit pessimistic of your fellow carbine shooters today, heh?

Rmpl
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 10-05-10 at 07:20.
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    50 yd zero for me. There's also a lot of good info in this thread with excellent graphs from Molon (look on page 3)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37069

There's one more zero thread that I can't track down right now
    I found an excellent ballistics tool and education by running a ballistics program. I use iSnipe app for the iPad/iPhone/iPod. You can put in all the variables, it will generate a comprehensive table at intervals and distances of your choosing, and draw the graphs for you.

Feedback Score

50 yard Zero

He only had one cup of coffee today and the 7 yard thingie real gets to him.....said with humor.
    I see SWAT magazine had a decent article on off set and zero. I may change my ways. Who said you can't teach an old gunny new tricks.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast