Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 50 yard Zero

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rln_21 View Post
    +1 to this.

Boresights are a huge waste of money, this works every time with any rifle assuming you have a good rest or just some decent shooting bags...
    ...and the gun has a design that will allow you to look straight through the barrel. (Won't work on most auto, pump, lever guns + others)
    Last edited by ucrt; 10-28-10 at 21:42. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They're a waste of money if you're worried about the crown on a precision gun, as one rightly should be. Even then, there's chambered laser boresighters, which generally obviate the need to collimate anything, as there's loads of both optical and laser boresighters that require that for best results.

They're also a waste when one can't be bothered to learn how to collimate the ones that need it, which is a bigger trend than those that know what that means, much less do it. The military LBS/PEM-1 and similar systems is just one example of a market full of them.

No different than conducting a near-zero grouping exercise. Seen as a means of preventing waste of time and ammo on the line, they're often a smart choice if you don't want to have to break a gun down, have problems seeing a target through a barrel or a reticle pattern on an optical model, etc. Seen as an alternate to shooting for groups to determine or confirm zero...yeah, all kinds of waste going on there.

In and of themselves, boresighters can be an enormous help, which in no way advocates that everybody should be using them. You have a whole golf-bag of clubs to get your ball on the green, how you choose them is on you (or your caddy...man, what a shitty analogy THAT is).
    Last edited by JSantoro; 10-28-10 at 13:44.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    FYI

Today Molon started a new thread expounding on the 100-yard as well as other zeros... AR-15 Zeroes and Trajectories

Typical Molon 1st class quality.

Feedback Score

Zero

I set mine at 200 yds and shoot apples at that range,good enough for me. Ammo Hornady 75gr bthp match, they recommend the 200 yd zero..

Feedback Score
    Mine are set up for 50 yards.....used for my profession, it is the most practical.

Great references and opinions guys.....

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The agency that I work for now has our carbines zeroed at 100 yds. How or who decided this was optimal for our function I don't know, but I am glad to read comments from experienced folks saying it is good up to 300 with the least holdover.

I'd be interested to know from guys who are LE here what their agencies prescribe as their zeroes. Outside of active military with combat arms roles, I would venture to say that we'd be the closest runner up for relevance and importance in the matter. I am also not talking about any SWAT or tactical teams, rather patrolmen, line agents, etc.

Oddly enough, I use a 50 yd zero on my personal carbine despite military experience (USMC zero), and current agency standards (100 yd zero). I figure for HD, it would be optimal...

Feedback Score
    Just wanting some verification as to if I figured this out correctly...

I was running a 50 yd BZO and re zeroed it to a 25 a couple of weeks ago to experiment on some longer range targets. I didn't note my "click changes" (thinking about bringing a notebook from now on) then.

Im going to the range in the AM and plan on changing my zero from 25 yd to back to 50 yd.

In the past I would just shoot a group and adjust, but now Im thinking that if I do the math correctly I could just dial the dot down the right distance and that should put me closer to the 50 yd BZO neighborhood to start out with.

With an EoTech that has 1/2 MOA adjustments Im figuring that if I dial the dot DOWN 10 clicks (1' 1/4") from my 25 yrd BZO that should put me back close to the original 50 yd BZO.

Right?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    dont need a boresighter.
    +1

They are a waste of time and money unless you are firing expensive magnum hunting cartridges or African dangerous game rounds and can't afford to waste ammunition.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I am not a subject matter expert on hunting elk/deer/prarie dogs/gophers/etc., so I defer to those that are, but when it comes to human threats, I know what I prefer.

Every magnified optic I have bought in the last 10 years of my hunting career has finger adjustable adjustments.

Adjustments with screwdrivers/coins are a thing of the past.

On a side note, I also will no longer buy a scope with a 1" tube for any rifle for any reason. 30mm lets more light in and has more adjustment. People have a thing about thinking a 30mm tube is "European" and that is why they weren't popular in America until the last 10 years or so.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456