Thread: Shooting from a tree stand & impact of gravity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shooting from a tree stand & impact of gravity

I set a predator call 25 yards from a tree, the tree stand rest (horizontal) bar is 24' above ground. Don't have a ballistic calculator, therefore I set up a splash target beside the call. Shot 2 rounds from my 10/22 and cut the same hole, the POI was right on.

Yes it is a relatively short flight and angle, I assumed there would be a drop, any words of wisdom?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
    I set a predator call 25 yards from a tree, the tree stand rest (horizontal) bar is 24' above ground. Don't have a ballistic calculator, therefore I set up a splash target beside the call. Shot 2 rounds from my 10/22 and cut the same hole, the POI was right on.

Yes it is a relatively short flight and angle, I assumed there would be a drop, any words of wisdom?
    Gravity acts along the horizontal flight of the bullet. Your distance to target (horizontal) was the same.
    Your actual distance was more (pathagorean theorem), so if you used a range finder, it would have said 26 yards. At greater distances either way, the range finder could cause a missed shot, hence new range finder can take angle into account and correct, giving you horizontal distance, which is what you need to be concerned with.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yep.

That whole "you'll shoot high downhill OR uphill" thing required some processing on my part.

Feedback Score
    Yes always measure horizontal distance. The example I like to use for archers is; if you are a mile above your target on a cliff but the target is 10 yards away from the bottom. You use your 10 yard pin. That is what usually make the bell go off in their brain. There is only 10 yards of gravity.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk