Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vltor MUR-1A upper cannot use just any armorer's action block.

Feedback Score

Vltor MUR-1A upper cannot use just any armorer's action block.

It has come to my attention, that due to the different contour and shape of the Vltor MUR-1A upper receiver, that my Model1 action block will likely not fit over it.

I'm intending on putting a new barrel and a new Vltor MU-1A uper receiver together. (ie; I'm not looking to take apart an already assembled Vltor and barrel)

My question to you is what tool should I use for the assembly of the Vltor upper and a barrel? Some guys say that the DPMS "claw" block (pictured below)exerts too much pressure on the lugs.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Try a Bolckworx block.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Put a 1x2 on the top rail, and underneath the upper...turn it 90º to upright and lock it in the vise. Field expedient method when the tools are at home...

PRi AR-10/AR-15 combo block will also work.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's the PRI.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...VER_VISE_BLOCK

I don't have one but I use the Panther and have put 60 ft-lbs on a Grendel upper when putting a JP/VTac rifle length rail on and haven't heard anyhing about putting too much pressure on the lugs. My LMT upper has ben taken down a couple times and had different barrel nuts installed. Most recent is a YHM with 55ft-lbs on my torque wrench. Had I known about the PRI when I ordered my Panther I think I would've just gone with that one. Picatinny rail attachment is a nice option.

While I'm at it, here's a great barrel nut wrench.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...REL_NUT_WRENCH
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTRocks View Post
    Here's the PRI.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...VER_VISE_BLOCK

I don't have one but I use the Panther and have put 60 ft-lbs on a Grendel upper when putting a JP/VTac rifle length rail on and haven't heard anyhing about putting too much pressure on the lugs. My LMT upper has ben taken down a couple times and had different barrel nuts installed. Most recent is a YHM with 55ft-lbs on my torque wrench. Had I known about the PRI when I ordered my Panther I think I would've just gone with that one. Picatinny rail attachment is a nice option.

While I'm at it, here's a great barrel nut wrench.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...REL_NUT_WRENCH

I'm definitely going to get that PRI barrel wrench.

It really PO's me that I went to order it tonight on Midway (it is advertised in their mailed circular), and they were out of it. I should have ordered it last night when they had it, because I could also have saved $10 on their Burris P.E.P.R mount which I intended to order and is on sale through tonight, Sept 30. (Midway sucks that they will not hold a complete order on the side for you for a week until they have everything. They send every little part as they get it in, and will charge you full shipping each time they ship each back-ordered item to you).

If worse comes to worse, I'll invest another $35-$40 on the dpms panther claw. I feel better putting a Delrin block in a receiver instead of a solid aluminum block like that PRI block. Some-how, perhaps it's better to have the receiver starting to torque in the delrin block (and give advance warning), then bend or get damaged in a non budging aluminum PRI block.

SHIVAN, thanks for the suggestion of using wood blocks, but I'd only resort to that if what I buy just won't work.
    I'm a tradesmen and no stranger to making my own tools and contraptions when necessary, Here's a stockade styled tool I made in which two halves lock around a 308 DPMS fftube with dowels that pass through the openings in the tube. I used it to torque off a stuck FF tube while the DPMS upper is locked in a delrin 308 claw in my vise;

There was no strap wrench, WD40, or torch that I tried that was going to remove that FFtube without that 2"x4" stockade turning it off!

The problem is that I'm anal and prefer to use real tools first when possible. I can't stand scuff marks, marring, slipping, etc.
    Last edited by VaniB; 09-30-10 at 23:34.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I use the PRi. It works perfectly. I also have the delrin one in your first post. It's OK, but the PRi works better for me.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I use the PRi. It works perfectly. I also have the delrin one in your first post. It's OK, but the PRi works better for me.
    I take what you recommend seriously, being you're opinions carry a lot of experience and clout. Was it the aluminum PRI block in the photo that's posted that you are suggesting?....

Or, are you suggesting the "PRi AR-10/AR-15 combo block" that you mentioned in your post "will also work."
    What tool is that? I looked for it on the web, and couldn't find it. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VaniB View Post
    My question to you is what tool should I use for the assembly of the Vltor upper and a barrel? Some guys say that the DPMS "claw" block (pictured below)exerts too much pressure on the lugs.

i use the one you have pictured - you'll see that although it's held in place by the lugs, the top part actually engages the charging handle channel inside the upper and supports it there, and at the lugs.
    it supports it more than the PRI, which uses the lugs only, if that's what you're concerned about.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VaniB View Post
    I take what you recommend seriously, being you're opinions carry a lot of experience and clout. Was it the aluminum PRI block in the photo that's posted that you are suggesting?....

Or, are you suggesting the "PRi AR-10/AR-15 combo block" that you mentioned in your post "will also work."
    What tool is that? I looked for it on the web, and couldn't find it. Thanks.
    The combo one is made exactly like the one pictured, it just has another side for the 308 AR's too. I recommend either PRi version as "will work".

The delrin does engage more of the inside of the upper, but that's not something I am personally concerned with on my installs and work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Put a 1x2 on the top rail, and underneath the upper...turn it 90º to upright and lock it in the vise. Field expedient method when the tools are at home...

PRi AR-10/AR-15 combo block will also work.
    SHIVAN,
    What do you think about this upper block set?

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...3-50c7880935e0
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast