Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with first xm177 clone build

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    It sounds like an SBR might be quicker than waiting for the moderator.

I am going with a 10.3" bbl on a Colt slick side A1 upper. I am not sure which flash hider to go with. I saw a retro 3 prong (duck bill I think) unit and wrench made by a guy on TOS it looked awesome. One big question do the work well at flash suppression? Any first hand accounts? If not an A2, AAC or Vortex will be what I go with.

Thanks.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, 10.3" is the modern CQBR barrel length. XM177s and 177E2s used 10" and 11.5" barrels respectively.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flatdarkmars View Post
    For what it's worth, 10.3" is the modern CQBR barrel length. XM177s and 177E2s used 10" and 11.5" barrels respectively.
    Thanks.

I would really like an 11.5" bbl. I traded for a brand new M4 profile 14.5" bbl so I have no cash tied up in the bbl. With the M203 cut out in the bbl I will have to cut it at 10.3" to keep it from looking funny.

It is going to be an inexpensive build. I have $80 in a slick side Colt upper. I need to cut the bbl for about $45. All I need to buy is a front sight post and a gas tube. I have the handguards in my spare parts collection.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    603 upper bought off the EE at arfcom

Bushmaster superlight weight barrel, Bricks faux moderator and grenade ring, EA aluminum car butt, NDS A1 lower, barrel work done by ADCO w/turn around time of 10 day's from my hand back into my hand. Oh the BCG, is a BCM enhanced and it has an H buffer.
    We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What is the length added to the barrel for the faux moderators? More what I'm getting at is what length barrel would one need to pin one of these on for non-NFA?
    "Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless." -Kenny Powers

Project Manager - Nightforce Optics

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    It sounds like an SBR might be quicker than waiting for the moderator.

I am going with a 10.3" bbl on a Colt slick side A1 upper. I am not sure which flash hider to go with. I saw a retro 3 prong (duck bill I think) unit and wrench made by a guy on TOS it looked awesome. One big question do the work well at flash suppression? Any first hand accounts? If not an A2, AAC or Vortex will be what I go with.

Thanks.
    Anything out of a 10" barrel is brutal with what you named. There is little flash suppression, and the blast, whew! True moderators are the way to go particularly if you are pursuing historical accuracy. Have you ever thought of going that route?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleslaw View Post
    Anything out of a 10" barrel is brutal with what you named. There is little flash suppression, and the blast, whew! True moderators are the way to go particularly if you are pursuing historical accuracy. Have you ever thought of going that route?
    Coleslaw

I decided to leave the 14.5" M4 profile bbl alone (I was going to cut it to 10.3") and built a Colt A2 upper for an M4 look. I ordered an 11.5" bbl from BCM today for the A1. I thought about a 12.5" bbl for a Kino A1 build. I decided the 11.5" would be cheaper and easier for me to put together. I've only put together one upper before and I have a bit of Tim the Tool man in me so Kiss is often better. It will also be more a more accurate build.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 12-30-10 at 18:39. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    One of my favorite AR's. I haven't posted in ages, but enjoy. Oh yea, not an exact replica, but close enough for me. The PG was swapped out shortly after these were taken for a nice mottled old one. Sorry, no nice pics of that. NDS lower and barrel work was done by a guy out of California. He did fabulous work. Name escapes me...Guess you hit 40 and the mind starts to go...LOL

Last edited by exotic-toys; 01-07-11 at 07:00.

Feedback Score
    Hey exotic-toys, which barrel did you end up using? (original length, final length, mfg, etc). Is that a USGI stock?

I'd probably watch the forums for an upper and stock, Nodak for the lower, not sure yet on the barrel. I'd probably just do it all as I could afford it

I really want to build one of these, but I have an m16a1 semi-auto clone and an East German AK on my plate right now!
    Blast this disease! Haha.

Oh ya... everyone: beautiful builds. Keep it up!
    Last edited by acarpenter; 02-03-11 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acarpenter View Post
    Hey exotic-toys, which barrel did you end up using? (original length, final length, mfg, etc). Is that a USGI stock?

I'd probably watch the forums for an upper and stock, Nodak for the lower, not sure yet on the barrel. I'd probably just do it all as I could afford it

I really want to build one of these, but I have an m16a1 semi-auto clone and an East German AK on my plate right now!
    Blast this disease! Haha.

Oh ya... everyone: beautiful builds. Keep it up!
    The total length of the welded FH plus barrel is 16". It took me forever to find the stock, but found this one about 6-7 years ago. The parts are out there, but you need to be able to 'pounce' as soon as they get listed. Correct - NODAK for the receiver and then send it off to IDENT for a little 'Colt' engraving.

Good luck on your project

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast