Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope I am never this "highspeed"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I hope I am never this "highspeed"

My apologies for linking to another forum.

I hadnt seen this topic discussed here and would value the input of our forum members.

I have been to a few classes. Im one of a few firearms instructors in my dept. Im no expert, but hell would freeze over before I would conduct this drill. The potential for disaster is obvious. The gain is nonexistant. Am I wrong???

http://www.ambackforum.com/viewtopic...=438424#438424

Feedback Score
    My old SO sent every SWAT guy to Bens class and they all talked about this drill. They said they were freaked out at first but got over it. I did the drill once. No need to ever do it again and I have never ran it with any of my people or the SWAT guys when I was their Range Master.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Damn! You would really have to trust the gun handling skill of your classmates.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd be interested to know who the instructor was that lead the drill pictured in that thread.

EDIT -- Explained by Sam

There may be valid reasons for the drill being set up the way it is. I'll leave the explaining of the merits/folly of such things to people who actually know what they are talking about.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This would appear to go way beyond the snake drill. I wouldn't participate in something like that. Hell, I'd be reluctant to do the snake drill depending on how well I knew the class members and what I had seen them do in the class up to that point.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Damn! You would really have to trust the gun handling skill of your classmates.
    Yup.

There are a number of folks I have trained with whom I would trust in such a drill.

Personally I don't think I would trust myself to participate in the drill even if surrounded by the aforementioned trusted folks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ken Hackathorn does a similar technique. Not nearly as dangerous though.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    Yup.

There are a number of folks I have trained with whom I would trust in such a drill.

Personally I don't think I would trust myself to participate in the drill even if surrounded by the aforementioned trusted folks.
    Yeah, The pic looks like their shooting on the move. Even scarier!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post

I've heard it said that these are photos of Ken Hackathorn's "snake drill" but I've never had any solid confirmations of that, and have no desire to attribute anything to Mr. Hackathorn (or anyone else) falsely, so please don't take that as gospel....since there are more serious people on this site than on many others, perhaps someone can clear that up.
    That picture was not in anyway shape or form connected to Ken Hackathorn or the snake drill. I do have a picture of the snake drill. I've participated in at least a dozen snake drills, it is safe and nowhere near the pucker factor as the pictures in this thread. It is usually done at the end of the class, after at least two days of preparations and observation of the students skills. At no time does anyone point a gun at each other, the major point of the drill is to teach a student to be able to operate in tight quarters with friendlies WITHOUT pointing a weapon at each other.
    Take these pictures with a grain of salt. There is no explanation attached to it from first hand experience.

Feedback Score
    I've done this before while doing MOUNT training.

It was labeled a "confidence drill", as in confidence in your team mates. It wasn't a big step from our standard live fire Squad, Plt or Co in the attack since you'll always have some "down range" from others in the attack.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast