Thread: The AK bug has bit me, time for my first.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)

The AK bug has bit me, time for my first.

I've read just about as much as I can. I was just gonna go with a WASR. I really just wanted it for plinking and something different that's cheap and cheap to feed but now I'm leaning towards a TGI Hungarian AMD with the folding wire stock. I know that the Arsenals are what's usually recommended. I definitely want it in 7.62x39.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Everytime I think an AK was just a fad for me and I am over it... I take it out and run through an IDPA type course and I surprise myself how well I shoot with it... Folding wire stock, iron sights and all...

Plus, range clean up is a breeze with my magnet floor sweeper...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I'm in the same boat. As soon as I have the funds available, I'm planning to grab an AK. You might check out warriortalk.com for good perspective on AKs. Pretty solid knowledge base over there.

zk

Feedback Score
    Just a few thoughts...

The only traditional folding stock on an AK that's comfortable to shoot (IMHO) is the triangle folder. I know that ACE also makes an aftermarket model that gets high marks, but I can't speak for it.

Also, keep in minds that the AMD has a metal handguard and no cover for the gas tube. If you plan on doing any shooting with it, you'll want to be wearing gloves.

Feedback Score
    While the AMD is a much better looking gun (IMHO) than the WASR's - I think I would get a WASR first if I were you.

It has a fixed stock which is much easier to shoot with, has a side rail if you decide to mount optics, and is much easier to use 30 round mags with.

Either way you arn't going to go wrong.

Feedback Score
    If it were me I would get an Arsenal SGL. Russian receiver and chrome lined barrel. Yeah it's 699 but you get alot for that price. Buy once cry once.
    Not the original texasyid

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    I've read just about as much as I can. I was just gonna go with a WASR. I really just wanted it for plinking and something different that's cheap and cheap to feed but now I'm leaning towards a TGI Hungarian AMD with the folding wire stock. I know that the Arsenals are what's usually recommended. I definitely want it in 7.62x39.
    You should probably find someone to let you try out the AMD before you by it.

My friend HAD one. I shot it several magazines through it. It was accurate (for an AK) but extremely loud and that stock made it one of the most uncomfortable guns I have ever shot. The butt plate is too small and narrow to stay locked into well and the strut popped me in the cheek with every shot no matter how I held it. I finally gave up and just looked through the sights without a cheek weld, not very conducive to accuracy but at least my cheek bone wasn't getting abused.

For reference, I have owned a Polyteck AKS side folder (Galil type stock)since 1998, there is NO comparison between them. I don't have any issue with the muzzle blast or cheek weld of my AK.

That being said, it might work for you. However, I think that is the issued arm for the Afghani police and it is universally hated, and those guys love AKs.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    If you're getting an AMD or other wire folder this may be of interest.

http://www.amd65tech.com/expertise.html

If you’re looking the AMD for the folding stock option know that it is an inexpensive, simple, no mod install to put a Romanian style wire folder on a WASR. It would not practical to go with a triangle folder because the proper internal trunion mod is extensive and expensive. An Ace is more expensive than a Romanian style wire folder and requires a mod to the existing trunion (cutting off and filing clean the tang). The cool thing is then you have a boat load of options and can add pretty much any stock you want from there including the myriad of AR stocks. I'd pass on any other folding stock out there.

Also if you go with an AMD with the forward vertical grip, I’d skip the 30 round mags and pick a shit pot of 20 rounders.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 10-05-10 at 13:03.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    I didn't want a WASR because of CIA's reputation, dremeling the magwell, I want the mags to lock in solid. I want a chrome lined barrel too. Larger mags wouldn't be a problem, I'd chop the front vfg to a size that's just big enough for a thumb break hold. An ultimak will be put on and probably T-1 or H-1. A folding stock Arsenal is probably the way to go I guess for only another $200-$250.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    Dive on in! Here's the one I would get if I didn't live in CA -

SLR 107CR