Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Good shtf Book Suggestions

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman169 View Post
    May have been mentioned but Lights Out by David Crawford is a very good read.
    A very good read indeed. I liked it more than One Second After to be honest.

This also may have been mentioned as well but I was also thoroughly captivated by D.J. Molles's The Remaining. If well-written, intense thrilling action is what you seek then I highly recommend this book/series.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sproc View Post
    I second the recommendations above for Patiots and One Second After. After that I'd go with:

Lucifer's Hammer

The Road (worst case scenario, not a fun read, but still good)

Day by Day Armageddon (not as informative as the others, but still a fun, quick read)
    Missed this thread before.
    I'll second The Road.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    A very good read indeed. I liked it more than One Second After to be honest.

This also may have been mentioned as well but I was also thoroughly captivated by D.J. Molles's The Remaining. If well-written, intense thrilling action is what you seek then I highly recommend this book/series.

This has to be one of my, if not the, most favorite series I've ever read. I was planning on posting about the series also. JL Bourne also has a great SHTF series. One about zombies, the other about economic collapse. Both were very entertaining.

Feedback Score
    Ditch medicine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just discovered that The Remaining series by DJ Molles has returned....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Jonnyt16;2530719]A very good read indeed. I liked it more than One Second After to be honest.

[/QUOTE

WTF. I wish Amazon would put a disclaimer on books like this: AUTHOR INSISTS ON ARMING THE PROTAGONIST WITH AN HK MK23 AND A KBAR translation this doofus's entire knowledge of firearms and the military comes from playing Call of Duty. Read the first book only, from the beginning started noticing things that bugged me, I will go through some of them below. I have developed a tolerance with Kindle books, even with faults I can still enjoy a good read, but I have to feel I am getting good value for my money. This series I would classify in the $3.99 range, if they were priced there I would buy and read the whole series, but no way will I pay $8.99 each for 5 books that starts with the faults listed below.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW

Job - be available to hide out in bunker in case of possible SHTF, what about the rest of the time, you are going to pay someone to just sit around waiting to go into the hole. Can't give the guys something productive too do while waiting around? Don't know about you but I get in trouble when I'm not working.

Hide out - high tech bunker under house in rural neighborhood, I would think a more secure location would be better but OK, I am sure cover house will have some rudimentary security like fences, alarms, cctv right. WRONG none of the above, bunker only entrance/exit is a hatch in basement, when exiting super secret bunker from unconcealed hatch in basement he has to sweep dark basement with HK23 light because it doesn't even have a light left on. Then he has to clear house because he has no way of knowing if anyone has entered. Really. Also only one way in/out of bunker is a real big believably problem for me, along with the fact that house/bunker are powered by a battery bank fed by solar panels with enough capacity to AC the house in a NC summer. I don't know how many solar panels it would take to do this, but most houses don't have enough roof to support them. Not to mention that any apparently empty house with no alarms, no fence and tons of solar panels on the roof might have a big target on it in a situation like this.

Weapons - Primary M4 with M203, 13 total plastic mags, no extras, 1000 rds 5.56 and "case" of 40 MM (all HE). Yeah I will feel well armed for TEOTWAWKT with that. Secondary MK23 with 1000 rds of 45 and Glock 19 with 100 rds of 9 MM cause I'm gonna shoot everyone with a 45. And a wood case of frag grenades. All of this stored in unsecured closet in bunker.

I have to stop and go do chores, but there are lots more things that bug me about this book, like shooting rednecks with no qualms but going through angst for putting down infected and parking truck and walking across open fields 600 meters to a house during a rescue and....
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-04-19 at 11:54.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Going home series...i am waiting for number 11 if their will be one.

Feedback Score
    Franklin Horton has three good series going: Locker 9, Borrowed World, and The Mad Mick.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chingon View Post
    Going home series...i am waiting for number 11 if their will be one.
    It is a good series. However, the writing in the later books is getting tedious. There are frequent passages along the lines of:

I turned to get in the truck. "Get in the truck too," I said to Thad. Thad turned to get in the truck. Thad settled in enormous but athletic bulk in the passenger seat. "I am in, Morgan," Thad said. We then departed in the truck to go find Sarge.

Just filler words that do nothing to advance or tell the story.
    Last edited by jack crab; 07-12-19 at 10:16.

Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast