Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloads with mixed headstamps??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

reloads with mixed headstamps??

anyone notice a difference in poi when doing this??? noticed some range brass for sale with mixed headstamps...jst wondering if it makes a huge difference to plinking loads.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    anyone notice a difference in poi when doing this??? noticed some range brass for sale with mixed headstamps...jst wondering if it makes a huge difference to plinking loads.
    I reloaded a significant amount of 9mm a year. This year I reloaded around 16,000 rounds. I use all sorts of headstamps, whatever I can get my hands on, and there is little to no difference in POI with my reloads. Even at the chronograph, I am pretty consistent with shooting 1,050 fps +/- 10 fps with 124gr CMJ Montana Gold Bullets. At times some headstamps might be around 10 or 20 fps in difference, but my 25 yard static groups are the same whether I am shooting all starline brass, or a mix of everything brass.
    Last edited by VirginiaTactical; 10-18-10 at 21:06.
    Noel A. Robleto
    Instructor / Owner
    Virginia Tactical
    noel@virginia-tactical.com
    703-439-9321

Feedback Score
    My .223 plinking ammo had mixed headstamps. I'm not trying to shoot tiny little groups with it, all I know is it's accurate enough for my needs.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I shoot mixed headstamp brass and never noticed anything for range/practice ammo. I never looked for it but never noticed anything either.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    For plinking loads it won't make any significant difference.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    As noted above I haven't had any issues when in the plinking pressure range but you might encounter problems when loading close to max. Good practice is of course to work up to max or near max in small increments checking for signs of pressure. Having a load that's safe in commercial brass might well put you beyond safe limits jumping over to brass with less capacity, military brass for example.

Keith

Feedback Score
    I don't bother sorting headstamps on my .223/5.56 brass, other than to toss out ones I'm specifically avoiding, even when loading up stuff like OTM match rounds.

I'm not shooting anything with optics over 4x, though, so between me, the rifle, and the optic I'm not likely to notice much difference if I'm doing everything else right in the reloading process.

With some other brass, like .308, I'd do it differently, though.

Feedback Score
    Truthfully I don't mess with sorting by headstamps on "most" handgun cartridges or my 223/5.56. Most of these are practice stuff and not maxed out loads. I have yet to see any noticeably larger groups. However for most of my hunting or serious work loads I do sort by brand or headstamp and often keep separated by different lot numbers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post

Load it up and blast away. I like to go with once-fired military brass because you can be pretty sure it is indeed once-fired.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I only sort off brass if I know a specific headstamp needs a crimp removal or something. After that, I couldn't care less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast