Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 5.56 plinking ammo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is that a RI in the circle or R1?
    "We will never sleep, 'cause sleep is for the weak.
    And we will never rest, 'til we're all fking dead" -- O.S.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I won't beat this to death. Take it FWIW.

You have no knowledge where the upper came from or who makes it. It's not a Colt. Do you even know if it was complete or was it pieced together?

I have seen that FSB marking before. I can't remember if it was DPMS or BM.

I would not add the feed cuts. I would DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to sell it and get a good upper. At a minimum I would get a good barrel and have it rebarreled. What do you know of the BCG?

Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    You're probably not wrong...this barrel has no markings unless they're under the barrel nut at the breech of the barrel. Could all of this be fixed with a new barrel extension? I was planning on having the standard feed cuts converted to M4 feeds.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    What is there to know about the BCG? It's there. What do you mean do everything possible to sell the upper? If I were to sell it, I could probably only afford a Stag Arms upper...Is there any way an armorer can identify a barrel by removing it and inspecting it? I reluctant of doing anything before I really know what I have...I have never seem a barrel quite like this one on any of the websites like BCM, RRA, etc.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Who makes it would be a good start? Is the carrier key staked and torqued properly? Is the bolt HP/ MPI tested? Does it have the correct extractor spring and insert?

More than likely the barrel was also not HP/ MPI tested either. The only way to identify the barrel is by the markings on the FSB.

What I mean by sell it(get rid of it) and get a good upper. And you don't have to settle for Stag Arms. A BCM upper can be had for around 600.00. Stag Arms is selling their uppers for around 535.00.

The lack of markings on the barrel says alot. I tried to locate the FSB marking with no luck.

Why are you reluctant?

What is there to know about the BCG? It's there. What do you mean do everything possible to sell the upper? If I were to sell it, I could probably only afford a Stag Arms upper...Is there any way an armorer can identify a barrel by removing it and inspecting it? I reluctant of doing anything before I really know what I have...I have never seem a barrel quite like this one on any of the websites like BCM, RRA, etc.

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Money is tight. That's a good reason to be reluctant. I am not a competitive shooter. I don't carry this weapon for work (yet), only a pistol...I really don't need a Ferrari when a Mustang (or even a Taurus) will do. I am looking to get the most bang for my buck without going overboard. I know it sounds like I'm being cheap, but the AR was supposed to be a fun hobby and most, not all, but most people on here basically say go big or go home...no middle ground...I even read people bashing Kimber and saying to buy a Wilson Combat 1911 instead...$850 for a darn good pistol versus $2500? And I have never heard of a "Saturday night special" AR15.

I'm sure my rant falls on deaf ears but it's frustrating for me as a non "industry professional".

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Well enjoy your AR and hopefully it will work you. It has nothing to do with "go big or go home". I has to do with having a good functional AR. Yours may well run ok, or it may not. I guess the only way to know is get a small quantity of good 5.56 ammo and see what happens.

There are plenty of "Saturday Night Special" AR's. They are known as DPMS, Oly Arms, CMMG, Del-ton, etc....

Money is tight. That's a good reason to be reluctant. I am not a competitive shooter. I don't carry this weapon for work (yet), only a pistol...I really don't need a Ferrari when a Mustang (or even a Taurus) will do. I am looking to get the most bang for my buck without going overboard. I know it sounds like I'm being cheap, but the AR was supposed to be a fun hobby and most, not all, but most people on here basically say go big or go home...no middle ground...I even read people bashing Kimber and saying to buy a Wilson Combat 1911 instead...$850 for a darn good pistol versus $2500? And I have never heard of a "Saturday night special" AR15.

I'm sure my rant falls on deaf ears but it's frustrating for me as a non "industry professional".
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 10-10-10 at 03:56.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

===============================

I think, everyone understands what your saying...basically because the same comments are seen on this site weekly.

I feel first and foremost most people here look at an AR as a "Fighting/SD/HD" weapon. If you want to shoot coyotes, paper, or whatever else with it too, that's fine but first have a "good" basic gun at a minimum that meets the "Fighting/SD/HD" criteria.

If most people that own (and are familiar with) an AR, heard a loud "commotion" outside or down the street, at 3:00 AM, their AR would be at their side. That is not the time to wonder if your rifle's extractor or bolt catch or trigger... is up to the task.

In the frenzy last year, I hurriedly bought several AR's before I knew a single thing about them. I went by what the dealers told me, reading "ads", and what looked cool. I sold most of them witjhout even shooting them because I started reading and studying and realized I would really rather learn from someone else's mistakes. When I read factual accounts, the "Chart", and did my own comparisons...hmmm...I made a choice to get rid of the DPMS, BM, RRA, Armalite, Sig that I had bought. Then, I purchased from the left side of the Chart.

You can get a new quality AR for right at a $1000. I don't think anyone here is trying to get you to spend money on a "luxurious" AR, they just want you to get something that won’t give them a bad conscious recommending. If you just want someone to comfort you and to tell you that your no-name gun is gtg, go to a gun show and buy a UTG handguard from one of the dealers and they will tell you whatever you want to hear about how good your AR is.

Don’t take all of this as being arrogant or cocky but just understand where these guys are coming from. When it gets down to the “nut cuttin’” it is your money and your life, but just don’t expect these guys to lower their standards because you want to learn (or not learn) the hard way.

Last edited by ucrt; 10-10-10 at 09:33. Reason: Clarity

Feedback Score
    I think this is very sound advice. First and foremost, these are weapons, not toys. In a life or death situation (whether or not you feel you might ever be in one), you need to feel confident that your rifle won't fail you.

As for the cost side of the equation: I've heard it said "buy once, cry once". You'll wind up spending more in the end by going the uber-cheap route.

Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    ===============================

I think, everyone understands what your saying...basically because the same comments are seen on this site weekly.

I feel first and foremost most people here look at an AR as a "Fighting/SD/HD" weapon. If you want to shoot coyotes, paper, or whatever else with it too, that's fine but first have a "good" basic gun at a minimum that meets the "Fighting/SD/HD" criteria.

If most people that own (and are familiar with) an AR, heard a loud "commotion" outside or down the street, at 3:00 AM, their AR would be at their side. That is not the time to wonder if your rifle's extractor or bolt catch or trigger... is up to the task.

In the frenzy last year, I hurriedly bought several AR's before I knew a single thing about them. I went by what the dealers told me, reading "ads", and what looked cool. I sold most of them witjhout even shooting them because I started reading and studying and realized I would really rather learn from someone else's mistakes. When I read factual accounts, the "Chart", and did my own comparisons...hmmm...I made a choice to get rid of the DPMS, BM, RRA, Armalite, Sig that I had bought. Then, I purchased from the left side of the Chart.

You can get a new quality AR for right at a $1000. I don't think anyone here is trying to get you to spend money on a "luxurious" AR, they just want you to get something that won’t give them a bad conscious recommending. If you just want someone to comfort you and to tell you that your no-name gun is gtg, go to a gun show and buy a UTG handguard from one of the dealers and they will tell you whatever you want to hear about how good your AR is.

Don’t take all of this as being arrogant or cocky but just understand where these guys are coming from. When it gets down to the “nut cuttin’” it is your money and your life, but just don’t expect these guys to lower their standards because you want to learn (or not learn) the hard way.

Feedback Score
    I understand where you're coming from. I'm a an old LE gun guy, with a lot of experience under my belt. I came here to learn about AR's after being away from them for many years, and it is daunting to read all the overload of information. But this site has more guys who know what they're talking about, than any other I've been on, and I've gotten a crash course in a pretty short time. Are there guys here who are highly opinionated towards really high dollar stuff? Sure. Gunfighting is a competitive event, and some guys are willing to spend whatever it takes to gain advantage, no matter how slight.

In some ways, it's really no different than it was 35 years ago. Some guys spent 2 or 3 times on their duty guns than others did. A tricked out, slicked up revolver with custom grips, didn't guarantee you'd win a gunfight any better than with an issue model 10, but there were still things that were important to know that applied to both guns. A lot of it came from PPC shooters like me who spent a fortune on their gear. I remember old vets at lineup looking at my speedloaders, Herrett's grips, and a holster that by itself cost more than their gun and leather combined, and shaking their heads at how much money I'd "wasted". Later, when I was working quals, I'd inspect those same guy's guns and find some of them were non functional.

But there is middle ground. I don't know what you spent on your upper, but you can buy top quality BCM's for $385.00 right now, in several different configurations. You can add one of their top rated BCG's for $135. That can't be a ton more than you could off your upper for to someone who doesn't care, and then you'd be 100% sure that you had something you could depend on.

As far as your 1911 comments, I don't want to open that can of worms here, but suffice it to say, just like AR's, there's some amazingly bad crap out there, that many think are "darn good pistols", (after all, the gun magazines said it is....). Those that put 50 rounds a month of 750 fps ball through them, will probably never find out what junk they own, (though I've seen some that broke in the first 100 rounds).

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I understand what you're saying, however, I feel I have to point out that everybody on this forum contradicts everybody else. You say to buy a quality upper like Bravo Company, when just the in the previous post, someone names BCM as garbage. I'm getting messages that Stag are garbage. It seems no one's opinion can be trusted...I have a feeling I could have Wilson Combat build me an upper and I could take it to the board and they will pick it apart and tell me what I SHOULD HAVE bought instead.

I am perfectly aware that my AR is first an foremost a weapon whether it be for LEO, self defense or what have you, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't plan on using it for that purpose RIGHT NOW. My Volvo is first and foremost a car, AND Volvo does make racing engines...Does that mean I should tune up my old 940 Turbo into a pavement eating dragster? NO!!! I know this is apples and oranges (or maybe pears), but the point is to give some perspective. And for the record, I am not an asshole who's trying to be difficult, just a frustrated AR rookie...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast