Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 5.56 plinking ammo

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_fireman19 View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the 100 round box of Federal .223 55gr sold at Walmart?
    That stuff is awesome. I have shot around 1400 rounds of that federal stuff that walmart sells and I have not had a problem yet, it works out to be about $400/1000 rounds, alittle expensive when you can find 1000 bulk packs for around 300-350 but most walmarts have it all the time and it works great
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    Money is tight. That's a good reason to be reluctant. I am not a competitive shooter. I don't carry this weapon for work (yet), only a pistol...I really don't need a Ferrari when a Mustang (or even a Taurus) will do. I am looking to get the most bang for my buck without going overboard. I know it sounds like I'm being cheap, but the AR was supposed to be a fun hobby and most, not all, but most people on here basically say go big or go home...no middle ground...I even read people bashing Kimber and saying to buy a Wilson Combat 1911 instead...$850 for a darn good pistol versus $2500? And I have never heard of a "Saturday night special" AR15.

I'm sure my rant falls on deaf ears but it's frustrating for me as a non "industry professional".
    In regards to the "go big or go home" comment, I dont know if you are talking about price but if so, the reason people on this sight are saying go with a more $$$ rifle is probly because they have been burned in the past by trying to save some money and end up spending just as much if not more in the long run trying to turn that "saturday night special AR15" into a properly functioning rifle. I am on of those people who has tried to cut corners and save as much as possible because your right, money is tight but take if from someone who knows spend a little more on a good quality rifle like DD or BCM and you will save yourself a whole lot of headache in the future
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Please show me where someone has stated that BCM was garbage? I might have missed it. You have been given alot of good advice. If you choose not to listen or it confuses you then go with what you know.

Let's get this thread back on track and talk about ammo. If you want to inundate yourself then start a new thread in the correct area and listen to what people tell you. My feeling is that the first few posts will guide you down the path.

I understand what you're saying, however, I feel I have to point out that everybody on this forum contradicts everybody else. You say to buy a quality upper like Bravo Company, when just the in the previous post, someone names BCM as garbage. I'm getting messages that Stag are garbage. It seems no one's opinion can be trusted...I have a feeling I could have Wilson Combat build me an upper and I could take it to the board and they will pick it apart and tell me what I SHOULD HAVE bought instead.

I am perfectly aware that my AR is first an foremost a weapon whether it be for LEO, self defense or what have you, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't plan on using it for that purpose RIGHT NOW. My Volvo is first and foremost a car, AND Volvo does make racing engines...Does that mean I should tune up my old 940 Turbo into a pavement eating dragster? NO!!! I know this is apples and oranges (or maybe pears), but the point is to give some perspective. And for the record, I am not an asshole who's trying to be difficult, just a frustrated AR rookie...

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Please show me where someone has stated that BCM was garbage? I might have missed it.
    Apparently, I missed it as well.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Well enjoy your AR and hopefully it will work you. It has nothing to do with "go big or go home". I has to do with having a good functional AR. Yours may well run ok, or it may not. I guess the only way to know is get a small quantity of good 5.56 ammo and see what happens.

There are plenty of "Saturday Night Special" AR's. They are known as DPMS, Oly Arms, CMMG, Del-ton, etc....
    This why ar's have bad names, manufacturer induced failures. In that video, was that a squib or did it fire out of battery?
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Which video are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    This why ar's have bad names, manufacturer induced failures. In that video, was that a squib or did it fire out of battery?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question

Wasn't the subject of this thread supposed to be something about ammo, not weapon quality?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I believe this thread has side tracked some as well. If wanting the best bang for the buck and you were shopping at either ammunition to go or palmetto state which 5.56 ammo would you buy that is brass cased? This is for training/classes. Anybody ever try the once fired and reloaded stuf from ammunition to go?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Listen to what your gun is trying to tell you, I don't think this was a 5.56 AR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI
    hate to be hatefull, but that guy shooting in the vid is a moron. only circumstance an incident like that should have happened was in a fire fight. he needs to spend more time with his gun and learn how to properly operate the charging handle and forward assist in the correct sequence. also since he was jst plinking he should have examined the ejected, unfired round a little better to see if there was a bullet in the end of it when it came out. more then likely it was a reload that did not get crimped or bullet did not have a cannelure. from the comment made towards the end of the video i'm pretty sure his buddy brian was doing some reloading. i never shoot anybody elses reloads, but my own.
    Last edited by Country Boy; 10-12-10 at 21:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    hate to be hatefull, but that guy shooting in the vid is a moron. only circumstance an incident like that should have happened was in a fire fight. he needs to spend more time with his gun and learn how to properly operate the charging handle and forward assist in the correct sequence. also since he was jst plinking he should have examined the ejected, unfired round a little better to see if there was a bullet in the end of it when it came out. more then likely it was a reload that did not get crimped or bullet did not have a cannelure. from the comment made towards the end of the video i'm pretty sure his buddy brian was doing some reloading. i never shoot anybody elses reloads, but my own.
    Yes! Hit the forward assist before you charge the rifle. Why didn't I ever think of that? I can't believe the guy didn't even look at the misfires; he just said "bad primer". Of course there should have been some powder scattered around on the bench since there was obviously a bullet in the barrel. Or maybe it all ended up in the lower. I'll shoot my Dad's reloads, but that's it and I am not to sure about some of his.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast