Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith Enterprise Vortex FH

Feedback Score

Smith Enterprise Vortex FH

I've made a decision to stop using a FH that has to be timed. I don't use a can and have always just put an A2 bird cage on my rifles. I got a Smith Enterprise Vortex. They recommend to not use any kind of washer or shim. I read a post somewhere, a guy said he uses a crush washer with them, just his personal preference. Anyone use these FH? How do you recommend installation? Should I use rocksett? Good or bad experiences with these FH?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd spin it on with no washer and see how it butts up. I prefer the look of a shim or peel washer, but that's just preference. Theoretically the vortex is self tightening, but I'd put a drop of Rocksett on if it were my gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I put one on a 12.5 several years ago. No loctite. Had it swapped with a suppressor mount last week. My local shop said it was on the toughest to remove vs the two other A2 mounted rifles that had been mounted with crush washers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgex2 View Post
    I put one on a 12.5 several years ago. No loctite. Had it swapped with a suppressor mount last week. My local shop said it was on the toughest to remove vs the two other A2 mounted rifles that had been mounted with crush washers.
    Was it still accurate with it on that tight. After watching the brownells video with Mike from SOLGW, about overtightening muzzle devices, I don't want some self tightening device that might over torque.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have 3 mounted on different rifles and haven't had any problems, but only 200 to 250 rounds in. No issues with accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the all the advice. I think I will use a crush washer and just snug the FH not very tight. I just got 2 LMT crush washers for free from roof top defense. Had to pay $5 shipping Lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by e z money View Post
    Was it still accurate with it on that tight. After watching the brownells video with Mike from SOLGW, about overtightening muzzle devices, I don't want some self tightening device that might over torque.
    Sorry, I can't be of any help in that regard.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    20 ft-lbs of torque with no crush washer and no issues at all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I have 3 mounted on different rifles and haven't had any problems, but only 200 to 250 rounds in. No issues with accuracy.
    People have said the Vortex FH increases accuracy due to the symmetrical dispersion of gasses. Some guys install them with minimal torque (hand tight) and fire a few rounds, the muzzle device is self tightening.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Crush washer will do the opposite of alleviating your concerns. I’d just put it on the bare shoulder and give it a slight kiss of wrench.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast