Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why rattle can paint instead of Duracoat, et al.?

Feedback Score

Why rattle can paint instead of Duracoat, et al.?

I noticed most who paint their ARs use low priced rattle can to do it. Some will try Cerakoting, which is the hardest of the firearms coatings to apply, IIRC.

Why don't more people try something like Duracoat, KG Guncoat, or one of Brownells spray-on finishes for firearms? It provides a nicer finish than rattle can and is easier to apply than Cerakote, IIRC. I think there is a rattle can option to apply Duracoat.

Note: I have no affiliation with any of the above companies or products.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Because spray paint is cheap, easy, and effective.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Cheap and easy way to get what is commonly called a battle worn finish. Nobody will believe your war stories if the rifle looks new.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't waste my time rattle canning. I fairly inexpensively set myself up to Cerakote items and it works really well.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Simple to do, works great, cheap, and most importantly it can be easily modified with more paint to changing environments and seasons.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Simple to do, works great, cheap, and most importantly it can be easily modified with more paint to changing environments and seasons.
    Do you strip it before adding paint? Seems it would build up quite a lot of surface after a while.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A little acetone thins it right out.

I have a couple setups that are ceracoated. A couple I rattle can…..my opinion is if the gun is a safe queen or is going to sit, use ceracoat. For rigs that are getting used, rattle can.

The money spent for the ceracoat looks great and protects well, but for all intents and purposes, a nice coat of spray paint will do the same, on something that might see some scratches and dings.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by Uncas47; 11-18-23 at 20:21.

Feedback Score
    Refinished an old Lee-Enfield once with high-temp BBQ grill paint (baked on, of course) from Wal-Mart. Very durable and looked surprisingly good.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Because spray paint is cheap, easy, and effective.
    Ditto.

Add; when it wears off, either “who care”?, or touch it up.
    Last edited by gaijin; 11-18-23 at 16:46.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast