Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: del-ton says!!!!!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    ==============================

S&W AR's are not grouped with the ones you mentioned. S&W is generally thought of as an acceptable AR...bottom of the "upper group" but still acceptable.

But maybe it's just me...

It's not just you. S&W is not the same as Del-Ton. Maybe when they first came out but now that they've been in house for a couple of years I think they are pretty squared away. There should probably be an even lower tier where Del-Ton and Double Star hang out...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA-M4 View Post
    If delton's upper is out of spec and cuts grooves into the bolt that could be a reason

You are aware that its not accepted practice to swap out Bolts...?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    ok, no bolt swapping. but what happens if you break your old bolt and need to replace it. wouldnt that be the same as swapping bolts or a new unfired bolt makes a difference compared to and old one fired many times?????? 2nd, are we talking about the bolt or the entire bolt carrier group????
    Last edited by kiki; 10-10-10 at 16:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki View Post
    ok, no bolt swapping. but what happens if you break your old bolt and need to replace it. wouldnt that be the same as swapping bolts or a new unfired bolt makes a difference compared to and old one fired many times??????
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering. What happens if you need to change out your BCG?

Feedback Score
    You check the headspacing with GO and NO GO gauges. If all is well, fire away.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, I don't want to be the cause of a kB!.
    Last edited by Whootsinator; 10-10-10 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    ok, now im more confused??? what does the bolt have to do with checking the tolerance on the barrel chamber (head spacing) ...the topic was not swapping bolts with other ar bolts. not checking chamber tolerances.....
    Last edited by kiki; 10-10-10 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ok, now im more confused??? what does the bolt have to do with checking the tolerance on the barrel chamber (head spacing) ...the topic was not swapping bolts with other ar bolts. not checking chamber tolerances.....
    Because changing the bolt could affect headspace.

Please read the link in Grumpy MSG's post where it states-
    The technical definition of "headspace" for bottle-necked rimless cases is the dimension between the bolt face and the datum line on the chamber or cartridge shoulder, whichever is being referenced.
    If you change the bolt, the headspace distance may change depending on the tolerances involved in manufacturing.
    Last edited by MarshallDodge; 10-10-10 at 17:19. Reason: clarity
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    it's OK to put in a new bolt- that won't open headspace to dangerousness. it's not OK to put a worn bolt into a different worn barrel extension- that can cause dangerous headspace, risking kB. also puts strain on the bolt, since the wear spots are likely to be different. if you have peaks, the bolt lugs are much more likely to sheer.

new bolts are tighter.. tighter is OK.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 10-10-10 at 17:25.

Feedback Score
    ok, so how does go and no-go gauges work...im assuming that if you place a go gauge and bolt closes its ok, and if you use a no-go and bolt closes means worn bolt or chamber...am i right if not explain...in other words bolt shouldnt close on no-go gauge???? or do you not use the bolt just measure the chamber???? by removing the bolt????
    Last edited by kiki; 10-10-10 at 17:35.

Feedback Score
    ok, so how does go and no-go gauges work...im assuming that if you place a go gauge and bolt closes its ok, and if you use a no-go and bolt closes means worn bolt or chamber...am i right if not explain...in other words bolt shouldnt close on no-go gauge???? or do you not use the bolt just measure the chamber???? by removing the bolt????
    Drop a GO in the chamber and the bolt should close. Drop a NO GO and the bolt should not close. If it does not close on a GO or closes on a NO GO, you've got head spacing issues. I would recommend taking it to a trusted smith to diagnose and remedy the cause.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast