Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanting to build custom ar...but unsure

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Wanting to build custom ar...but unsure

So i have recently gotten the urge to build myself an ar15 from scratch and have been doing research and know basically all the parts i want to buy but then upon more research on the actually building part it was said that it is difficult to do and at that to get it to look good...is this true?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_kyle View Post
    So i have recently gotten the urge to build myself an ar15 from scratch and have been doing research and know basically all the parts i want to buy but then upon more research on the actually building part it was said that it is difficult to do and at that to get it to look good...is this true?
    Actually the the exact opposite is true. Building/assembling an AR is not terribly hard to do for someone that possesses reasonable skill and patience - what's really hard is the research, research, research and buying quality components that work well together. And not rebuying parts again down the road because not enough research went in to buying the original parts in the first place. Take your time and be sure you want to build and want to invest the time.

I would say buying a complete AR also takes plenty of research, you just can't avoid it.

ETA: What parts have you decided on buying?
    Last edited by Quentin; 10-11-10 at 12:47.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    BCM FA BCG
    BCM charging handle
    BCM Buffer tube
    14.5" lmt or daniel defense barrel
    stripped upper and lower just vary on what i can get for a decent price, probably a spikes lower though. I would really love to get a black rain upper and lower though
    KX3 Flash Suppressor
    RRA lower parts kit
    daniel defense or a LaRue rail system

I am not worried about furniture and sights at the moment

Feedback Score
    Anyone with some mechanical skills can build an ar-15, I think you'll find it's easier than you think, and much more gratifying to build your own, but yes you must do your homework, and remember depending on what rail system you want to use may depend on what barrel nut/system you need to use.

Check out this link; I think it will at least give you an idea of what is involved, and the tools you will need to compete the job.........

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...An_AR-15_Video

Good luck with your build and let us know how it turns out.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Im thinking i will probably go with the dd omega x rail which is what i have on my other ar and i love the fact that its weightless. If i remember correctly those come with the barrel nut. Also the fact that i get a discount at DD helps too. so thats most likely where my barrel will come from also

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_kyle View Post
    Im thinking i will probably go with the dd omega x rail which is what i have on my other ar and i love the fact that its weightless. If i remember correctly those come with the barrel nut. Also the fact that i get a discount at DD helps too. so thats most likely where my barrel will come from also

Yes, the DD Omega X rail uses their proprietary barrel nut.

Well then when you order the rail and barrel have DD slip on the barrel nut before assembly of the front sight post/gas block before they send it to you, or when you get it you will have to remove the front sight post/or gas block and flash hider to put the barrel nut on, unless you are just going to order the barrel stripped and install the gas block yourself, but I would just have DD do it that way it will be properly pinned.......(just things to think about)

Feedback Score
    Oh yea, and what about this discount from DD that you get....

How can I get one!!!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With your 14.5 barrel you will need the KX3 to be pinned and welded, otherwise you're in NFA territory. The KX3 will also negate weight savings with the Omega X---KX3s are best suited for 7.5-12.5" weapons to help with cycling issues that may arise. Make sure the BCM buffer tube is also Milspec diameter---more stock options later if u want them.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's not that difficult to build, but what you lose out on is a lifetime warranty from most quality manufactures. To me there's not much value in that...
    Last edited by BlueOvalFan; 10-11-10 at 20:06.
    "Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?" Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You get a discount by signing a few years of your life to the United States governement and yea i just figured that out about the barrel...so what i was also thinking because im going for the short barreled look iw as thinking of getting a 16" barrel and getting a barrel shroud.. if that would work? Also what would be a reasonable price for a matching stripped lower and receiver. I looked at the black rain set and its $500 for both and that seems way steep for just stripped receivers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast