Thread: Will this work for hogs?

Feedback Score

Will this work for hogs?

http://www.sunflowerammo.com/Hornady...x-HOA80265.htm

wanted to make sure this was decent enough to be using on hogs

ddm4 1:7 twist

or should I just stick with something like 79 gr drts/winchester bonded jsps. I would like to stockpile something that can be used as defense and hog ammunition if possible. I figure if it can take down a hog, it should have no problems working on a person.

I don't mind stocking both ammunitions, but if there is one that will do both jobs well then that would be ideal
    Last edited by jmoney; 06-10-12 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It'll work well. Many down here swear by it in both .223Rem and 5.56 loadings. I'd still rather have a strong JSP for hogs.

Feedback Score
    thanks, there is actually a store around here that keeps the winchester JSP in stock. I liked what I read about the 79 gr DRTs but I have read they may not be ideal for other circumstances. If the JSP has good barrier penetration I dont see why it would not just destroy a hog.

Feedback Score
    absolutely. I have quite a few (for a northern guy who only gets to TX onece a year) with that exact ammo.

Shot placement is key. Don't shoot them like a whitetail. Head or neck is best.

Feedback Score
    well i called up the store and they are out of tap and said they don't plan on carrying it anymore.

It is down to winchester and DRT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Look around on line. You are likely to find better deals and a much better selection anyways.

Feedback Score
    Did doc determine that the DRT round wasn't that great? If so I guess I'm going to go with the winchester ranger JSP 64 gr