Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Who all is going to be making uppers for this round?

My interest is, for the most part, legal deer hunting with my carbine. I'm trying to not spend $1000 on an upper just for deer hunting fun.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Guess I never posted this in this thread. click to play.

Last edited by rob_s; 12-26-10 at 07:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Who all is going to be making uppers for this round?

My interest is, for the most part, legal deer hunting with my carbine. I'm trying to not spend $1000 on an upper just for deer hunting fun.
    You can also have a gunsmith replace your 5.56 barrel with a 300 BLK barrel. All it takes is a barrel swap to go from 5.56 to 300 BLK.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    What overall length are you using when having feed problems with the Sierra Varminters? I've shot them quite a bit from my build using a Noveske 10.5" 300FB barrel without any problems feeding but I use a fairly long OAL and de-ribbed PMags.
    I don't know..... I was loading them with another 110 grain bullet to have a total 220 grain payload, subsonic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Armament View Post
    You can also have a gunsmith replace your 5.56 barrel with a 300 BLK barrel. All it takes is a barrel swap to go from 5.56 to 300 BLK.
    Not to sound snippy, but I knew that. I could do the barrel swap myself, but my uppers are all in use as 5.56 guns. Want a drop-on upper so I can go hunting when I want to while not screwing with the zero and such on my patrol rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was loading them with another 110 grain bullet to have a total 220 grain payload
    Wait, what?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I don't know..... I was loading them with another 110 grain bullet to have a total 220 grain payload, subsonic.
    I wasn't aware this was even possible. Wouldn't that be unsafe with a suppressor?
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-27-10 at 20:01.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I wasn't aware this was even possible. Wouldn't that be unsafe with a suppressor?
    Almost certainly

....and probably without. In theory anyway.

Spread on the two at 28 yards was about 1 1/2" to 3 1/2".

Not saying it was a good idea...... just an idea. The case neck is rather short to reliably hold both bullets in place. The lower bullet could shake loose and fall into the case-- transforming from bullet into obstruction. The top bullet (the Sierra 110 Varmint HP) could go crooked on feeding or in handling since it's only held by half the neck.

It was just a room I peeked into as I moved down the hallway leading to .300 Whisper subsonic terminal performance without overpenetration. It's a long hallway. I believe there's a short one too but there's a stop in the R&D room, and the cover charge and time investment are out of my reach.

So, bottom line, don't do this, what I did was unsafe. I shot about 20 of these, got lucky and kept all my fingers, and there was no cigar.

I hesitated to even mention it as it may brand me as a dipsheisse beginner. I can imagine the people who are doing the real work on the new caliber have rolled their eyes already...... and I don't blame them!
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-27-10 at 20:01.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If you had and MRP your problomes would be over. I got my barrel in the works right now

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast