Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Finally got a comparison video put together.

Feedback Score
    Aren't these 220gr~ subsonic loads nothing more than pistol rounds?

They can't be generating more than 400-600ft/lb.

Feedback Score
    The .221 Fireball was developed for the XP100 pistol.

The .300 Fireball was developed using this case.

The .300 AAC BLACKOUT was developed using the Fireball case with a few changes to the chamber.

It's lineage started in a pistol, but it's more of an intermediate cartridge like the 7.62x39.

220gr @ 1010fps is 498.5 ft lbs of KE.

Where the 300 BLK subsonic excels is downrange subsonic velocity exceeds performance of pistol cartridges with similar muzzle ballistics due to the high BC bullets used in the cartridge. This means you can make clean kills at 200y with the 300 BLK that you can't do with a pistol cartridge at subsonic velocity. People get too hung up on kinetic energy when talking about ballistic performance.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    Aren't these 220gr~ subsonic loads nothing more than pistol rounds?

They can't be generating more than 400-600ft/lb.
    Not really. A 230 grain 45 ACP at 50 yards is about 330 ft-lbs from a 1911.

A 240 grain 300 AAC BLACKOUT subsonic has that much energy at 1075 yards, and can also shoot through a utility pole.

And all with much more accuracy potential.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 01-09-11 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    I'm interested in these subsonic "rifle" rounds for use as a low report weapon/cartridge for home defense (without the use of a suppressor).

I may be wrong, but I can't see them being exceptionally more lethal than your typical pistol caliber SMG/PCC under 25 yards.

If that's the case then that would cure me of my curiosity for these subsonic "rifle" cartridges.

Feedback Score
    They are still very loud without a silencer. I am not sure if they are louder than a shotgun or not. If you did not have a silencer you would have no reason to use the subsonic ammo and would want some form of expanding ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This might sound retarded, but, I need to know if the .300 has a case length at or greater than 1.280"

The retarded part would be legal deer calibers in my state have to be better than .23cal and a case length of 1.280 or greater.

Feedback Score
    Yes the case length is longer than 1.280".
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks.

This new .300 thing is going to cost me money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    I'm interested in these subsonic "rifle" rounds for use as a low report weapon/cartridge for home defense (without the use of a suppressor).

I may be wrong, but I can't see them being exceptionally more lethal than your typical pistol caliber SMG/PCC under 25 yards.

If that's the case then that would cure me of my curiosity for these subsonic "rifle" cartridges.
    Use of subsonic rifle rounds is not advisable for home defense for a few reasons. The primary one is that they will overpenetrate horribly through interior walls. They are very heavy and sleek bullets and won't slow down much from just encountering drywall.

You could mitigate this somewhat with a few of the exotic expanding designs available, and now that the 300 BLK is going mainstream there may be some options come out that would make subsonic suitable for this application, but for now I don't believe it would be a good idea.

Stick to supersonic rifle ammo for HD. A 110gr V-Max from the 300 BLK would make a good choice IMO.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast