Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC BLACKOUT

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    Lastly, Rob....your absolutely one of the best in terms of testing and evaluating AR's/AR kit, and your exceptional information and videos were really spot on in this thread. I certainly don't take it for granted, it's always appreciated

I'm copying the hell outta the AR in the clip I quoted above....just w. my traditional MRP take on things. That setup is cutting edge AR performance to the nth degree, easily the "benchmark" I have chosen to emulate with this upcoming option.
    First, thank you, I try. Hearing that some people find what I do useful or helpful keeps me going.

Second, and FWIW...

I know I'm the king of "lightweight" and am always looking go go lighter. I had misgivings about running the can for three days but used it almost the entire time. The one thing I'll say is, even though it would add weight, on the configuration in the video I'd probably use a UBR. Having such a compact gun with such a long can on it really shifted the balance. The muzzle doesn't dip much if you watch the reloads in the video, but the extra muzzle weight did inspire me to be a quick as I could with the reload. Eventually when I get more ammo and get back into playing with this thing I'm going to try a UBR and see if it helps the balance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    We have .300 BLK uppers now and will be testing them in the forthcoming months...
    Can you share what projectiles are slated for testing?

I'm most interested in the 110gr TSX (including the SBR low velocity version) and the expanding subsonics currently available from makers like Hawk and Outlaw State Bullets.

Unfortunately, if you are limited to factory loaded ammo there won't be much to test yet.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    We will be testing whatever factory barrier blind LE loads that are developed by the major LE ammo vendors.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    There are reports from guys hunting with the 240gr SMK and getting decent wounding from the bullet tumbling but it simply won't expand or fragment at subsonic velocities. The 220 won't expand or fragment either and I assume it would behave similarly as far as tumbling.
    Here is a post I saved many moons ago regarding 300 Whisper tumbling, non-expanding subsonic bullets on deer. Unfortunately I don't have the name of the person that posted this info.

--

300 Whisper Subsonic Rounds on Deer

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/php...ic.php?t=25906 (link no longer functional)

Well guys, I have read several post on the 300 Whisper with sonic loads for deer but have never read any on subsonic rounds. So I thought I would share the experience of Doc Roger's aka The Hit Man. For those of you who don't know about Doc, he belongs to JD Jones, HHI (Handgun Hunters International) and writes great articles in the SIXGUNNER. Doc has shot 9000 groundhogs and 1000 deer with handguns. Doc lives in W.VA and has a sign up sheet in his office for deer meat and people call him with crop damage permits. During 2002 Doc shot 151 deer. For the record he cleaned every deer and the meat was given to people to eat. Here is Doc's article from the April 2003 SIXGUNNER.

300 Whisper (12-2002) (33-2001), total 45)

Let's get this out of the way. Yeah, you've read about the .300 Screamer (.300 Whisper with 125 grain whatever at a gazillion fps.) Well , that's not a true Whisper. The real deal is a 240 grain Sierra Match HPBT less than 1000 fps (speed of sound) , with a "can", mil -dot scope, etc.

In other words , a fully tricked out SSK masterpiece that is QUITE.

Here's the deal : 16" SSK barrel, the "can" T/C folding stock , 221 Fireball case necked to .308 Sierra 240 grain Match HPBT, 8.1 grains of WW296 (1050 fps) BSA mil-dot lighted reticule, 4-16 power. A work of art and a deer's worst night-mare.

How does a slow, non-expanding Match HP kill? It tumbles end over end, creating some weird holes in muscles and skin. The typical response in a Whispered deer is to stand or walk slowly after being hit if it doesn't see the shooter. Internal bleeding begins immediately and in 30-60 seconds the deer looses enough blood to shut down all the internal processes.

An alerted deer usually runs until it runs out of blood, i.e. speed x time # distance run. The maximum I've seen is about 250 yards. The key is not to alert the deer.

I've taken a lot of broadside shots in which the deer runs 30-80 yards before dying. A shoulder blade hit usually results in knock down. About half get up and run a little.

A straight on shot is good if kept very low or very high. The low hits rip the heart causing heavy bleeding and runs of less that 50 yards. The high hits get the spine causing in instant knock downs.

I've done about six Texas heart shots. They walk real funny for 10-20 yards, then drop. The bullet stays in the chest cavity. Bleeding is usually very heavy from the aorta being hit.

J.D. gave me some old 250 grain Match Kings, no longer made. They are VERY long. Although I don't have absolute proof, I thing they do a little better due to the increased tearing activity.

I've take deer with these two bullets from 40-206 yards. The latter was instant knockdown and death from a spine hit. I had to hold four dots above the cross hair. Using a range finder with this gun is mandatory.

I asked J.D. about using other bullets. HE didn't think they would work since all shorter and probably would not tumble. I had to try.

I shot a doe coming out of the corn with a 220 grain Sierra HPBT at 140 yards. She keep feeding. I figured I'd missed, so I just waited. Another doe came out at 50 yards. I shot behind the shoulder. She kept feeding Now I was screwed up in the head. I figured I'd lost it and couldn't shoot anymore. While I was berating myself doe #2 dropped dead. I search a long time before I could find the pinpoint hole over the lungs. Autopsy showed a double lung hit, very little tissue damage, but a chest full of blood.

After cleaning this doe I went back to doe #2 . She was lying there dead. Same results. This 220 grain bullet is not LONG enough to get unstable to tumble. The deer didn't even realize they were hit. Strange.

I got rid of these bullets, had one more idea. How about a 220 grain Sierra round nose? The blunt nose should make the yaw and tumble. The round nose and flat base should create a good bit of tissue damage.

Instant success!!! You can hear and see this bullet hit. About a third of the hits are knockdowns. The rest run less than 100 yards on good lung hits or less that 300 yards on marginal hits. Straight on cheat hits are usually instant killers.

This round nose bullet holds trajectory very well. It's very close to the MatchKing . The longest shot was 180 yards. Exit holes were jagged. Bleeding is usually heavier than with the 240 HP. Deer seem to run less and die faster with the round nose.

There is one big problem with the Whisper. I can't get it out of people hands once they shoot it. One farmer shot four deer in 45 seconds. He wanted to do more. The deer were just milling around. I had to take the gun from him and remind him HE had four deer to clean.

Feedback Score
    Someone should verify this with gel tests.

Rem is not going to load the 240 MK, but I know of an ammo company who is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Someone should verify this with gel tests.

Rem is not going to load the 240 MK, but I know of an ammo company who is.
    I load the 240 SMK and the 208gr Amax. I like the 240 for the maximum weight, energy, and BC I can get while using the 208gr Amax for cheaper fun ammo. The 220 SMK is between them both in weight and price so I've never bothered with them.
    Advanced techniques are the basics mastered.

Excellence is an art won by training and habit. We are what we repeatedly do. -- Aristotle

Pistol/Shotgun/Rifle Instructor
    Sig/Remington/RRA/Sabre Armorer

Feedback Score
    Someone should load the 208 Amax. Heavier weights cycle with more zest though. 225 Hornady would be good.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Should we expect the Ballistics Improved Tungsten Core Hardened Saboted Light Armor Penetrator in the near future, possibly followed by the Perfected Incendiary Magnesium Projectile Saboted Light Armor Penetrator as well?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast