Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novak 1911 8 Round .45 Magazines

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Novak 1911 8 Round .45 Magazines

Who makes Novak 8 round mags? Are they really just ACT (Italy) magazines?
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    As far as I know that is what they are. I just stick with the CMC Power Mags. They work splendidly and you can get them for good prices at Midway when on sale.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I like the McCormick Power Mags just fine, but isn't the Wilson Combat 47D still the de facto standard in the serious 1911 world? If that's changed, I certainly didn't get wind of it.

Chief

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another Powermag user.

I have some of the Novak/ACTs as they came with something or other; I think it was the Yost 1* I have.

I don't use them much if at all. I guess I should put them in the training cycle or at least try running a complete match or two with only those mags to see how they run.

I have all sorts of problems with the Wilsons so I stick to the CMCs.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I run Wilson 47Ds with the Tripp Research kits in them. They run very well like that.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have run Wilson's for years and have had very good luck with them as long as you watch the springs and followers for wear. I tried several Powermags, though they worked ok they just didn't seem to cycle quite as smoothly as the Wilsons.

Feedback Score
    the act/novak's come with the S&W 1911's, and as a result I have several of them, in addition to some of the 7 rounders I purchased. Never had a problem with any of them--run like champs. I guess I could buy some more spendy mags, but since I've never had a problem with these...

never had a problem with the plain jane springer 7 rounders you could buy with the Loaded coupon either for that matter--guess I'm lucky with mags...
    Soylent Green is people.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger View Post
    Who makes Novak 8 round mags? Are they really just ACT (Italy) magazines?
    The Novak mags looks exactly like my ACT mag, with the exception of the baseplate. LAV mentioned at the 1911 class that the Novak/ACT mags are the same and are notorious for cracking at the back of the feed lips.

Mine haven't done that (yet) after a year or so in the rotation, but I can see the wear in the area Larry mentioned.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    a few years ago they had the cracking feedramps rep, but I was under the impression that had been taken care of. Since they are OEM on the Smith's, which have a full warranty, it's hard for me to believe they would have stuck with them if they were shelling out big $$ replacing them constantly
    Soylent Green is people.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scubie02 View Post
    a few years ago they had the cracking feedramps rep, but I was under the impression that had been taken care of. Since they are OEM on the Smith's, which have a full warranty, it's hard for me to believe they would have stuck with them if they were shelling out big $$ replacing them constantly
    Your right. IIRC there was a heat treating issue with the first couple of batches. I used them for a while and they worked really well but I sold them to buy more 47d's so my mags are all the same. Never had a functional issue with a 47d, I had had a few that wouldn't drop free but they were replaced asap by Wilson.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast