Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 mm "Grendel"?

Feedback Score

6.5 mm "Grendel"?

Is this caliber in ARs still viable?

I have too much time to plan on my next AR build, so am going through various phases, and it is inevitable I think about building a long-range AR that will hit things far away with the energy to do damage once it gets there, and it needs to fit on a standard lower receiver.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    You will benefit from reloading this caliber, but yes, it is still a viable and pretty popular (as non-5.56 AR calibers go) cartridge.

Feedback Score
    Yes, the 6.5 Grendel is still "viable". The only problem is that loaded ammo sells out too fast.

Wolf hasn't begun to make their low cost 6.5G ammo again, yet.
    Pat

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpat View Post
    Yes, the 6.5 Grendel is still "viable". The only problem is that loaded ammo sells out too fast.

Wolf hasn't begun to make their low cost 6.5G ammo again, yet.
    My two rifles and one carbine think it is still viable.

I just received 500 rounds of 120gr Wolf Gold ammo from Aim surlpus last week.

If you reload, you can run 7.62x39 brass through a 6.5 Grendel die, load with a slightly reduced powder charge and shoot to fireform.

I picked up 2000 rounds of IMI 7.62 brass about 18 months ago at a good price and have sized but not fireformed it all. The fireforming loads are not quite MOA, but still very good out of my Shilen barreled rifle.

Feedback Score
    probably the best distance load considering your requirement of still being able to use an AR-15 lower.
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
    My two rifles and one carbine think it is still viable.

I just received 500 rounds of 120gr Wolf Gold ammo from Aim surlpus last week.

If you reload, you can run 7.62x39 brass through a 6.5 Grendel die, load with a slightly reduced powder charge and shoot to fireform.

I picked up 2000 rounds of IMI 7.62 brass about 18 months ago at a good price and have sized but not fireformed it all. The fireforming loads are not quite MOA, but still very good out of my Shilen barreled rifle.
    Good tip on the Wolf from AIM, I've gone to them for the Radway Green 7.62x51 in bandoliers, good stuff.
    Pat

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, guys. Esp. the fire-forming 7.62 x 39mm bit.

I'm assuming 6.5mm Grendel takes a proprietary bolt?

I looked at some Alexander Arms stuff online, but am wondering who else offers barrels and bolts.

Feedback Score
    scrolling thru www.65grendel.com migh help
    Dan Miami, FL

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You could use a 7.62x39 bolt if you had to but the Alexander Arms 6.5 G bolt is much better machined. You can also get headspaced barrels and bolts from brownells and build an upper.

Recoil isn't bad at all on the 6.5G---quite comfortable shooting actually. I use a SOPMOD stock on my Essential Arms lower---supremely comfortable. I recommend a freefloat rail system when using the 65G and a scope of at least 10x and perhaps even up to 24x or so because the 65G will work best in scopes with high magnification.

Regarding the Wolf ammo, it prints 5 shot quarter sized groups for me at 100yd. The 123gr Amax from Hornady and the 129gr SST are apparently very accurate rounds. I'll be loading some SSTs for the opening of high-power rifle in November.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danpass View Post
    scrolling thru www.65grendel.com migh help
    Caught me being lazy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast