Thread: Polymer Sight Sets.. to use or not to use?

Feedback Score

Polymer Sight Sets.. to use or not to use?

I, like a lot of guys on here, have been "fiddling" with light weight builds for some time now.

One thing that always bugs me is the size/weight of buis sights available on the market at this time.

Granted the Magpul poly buis are fine and dandy.. they do their job just fine and help keep the weight down.

Here's another offering that I recently installed on a customer rifle.

http://www.armsmounts.com/default.as...sub=sights&id=[hsh]71L-FR%20Set

They are within grams of being as light as the Magpuls and have the added benefit of having the notched rear sight that I really like.

I've installed A.R.M.S. regular metal sights on several rifles and have never heard a bad thing said about them.

Anyone have any experience .. either pos/neg?

Feedback Score
    I too am interested. I really like how they deploy by pressing the rear. Thinking about it, with the front on an extended midlength rail and the rear, well, where the rear is supposed to be... I can deploy them simultaneously, without relinquishing control of my support hand to do the front and a quick reach with my right thumb to do the rear. Appears a bit easier than the MBUS with my shooting style.
    http://paulosantos0922.wordpress.com...ar-sights-set/
    THis is all I could dig up on it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If your set on lightweight folding sights, yes these are among the lightest available right now and are a few grams lighter than the Magpul Gen 1 MBUS at 28g and 37g for the front and rear sights, respectively (Magpul MBUS are 34g/40g, front/rear). The soon to be released Magpul MBUS Gen 2 will probably be as light as the ARMS poly sights or lighter (and lower profile).

The sights are not what I would call low profile when folded, however, at 0.61". These are approximately the same folded height as the Gen 1 Magpul MBUS. I purchased a 71L rear sight for a backup on my 6.8 hunting rifle and it would not fit under my scope. Troy's rear folding sights are 0.46" in the collapsed position, BTW.

There are fixed AL sights that are comparable in weight. For example, Daniel Defense's fixed front and rears are 30g and 48g and the Cavalry Arms fixed rear is 38g. I went with the DD front and Cav. Arms rear for my lightweight middy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i prefer full metal back sights.. but that's just me. i'm not a fan of plastic when it comes to guns..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biz Kizzle View Post
    i prefer full metal back sights.. but that's just me. i'm not a fan of plastic when it comes to guns..
    So no PMAGs and all alloy pistol grips/stocks on your ARs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i use standard mags mostly, yes. and i gave in for a nice comfy rubber/polymer pistol grip though. hoped you wouldn't find my weakness

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biz Kizzle View Post
    i use standard mags mostly, yes. and i gave in for a nice comfy rubber/polymer pistol grip though. hoped you wouldn't find my weakness
    Just busting your balls a little. I knew what you meant.