Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a Kydex holster Picture Tutorial

Feedback Score
    Use of a blue gun is a really good idea. There has been a case of someone deforming the frame on an M&P from "over pressing".

There is enough heat (approx. 340 degrees) transferring into the polymer to make it deform and hold shape under pressure....With exercised caution, using an actual gun is fine, but if you don't want to take the risk its worth $30.

As per brand of training gun, the ASP and "blueguns" brand seem to be identical (in the samples I've seen) as far as accuracy. They are afterall
    just a mold of an actual firearm.
    Last edited by npmako; 03-10-11 at 17:33.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Can you cite the example of someone over pressing their firearm and deforming it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have deformed my Glock, I pressed a few holsters without a mag and the well concaved. I now have a slightly oversized piece of wood, a standard mag runs the risk of nolonger dropping free

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keesh View Post
    Excellent post, bookmarked for later. Thank you!
    Agreed. Good stuff
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post
    BigHate,
    You might try http://www.usaknifemaker.com/. Most of the knifemaker supply houses carry Kydex/Concealex. Some have better color selections than others. Depending upon where you are, you may also be able to find a local source. You can check your Yellow Pages for plastic supply distributors.

Thank you very much for the info!!!

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know where to find either .060 or .080 in coyote tan? most sites just carry it in .093 which is to thick. i would be ok with buying a 4x8 sheet if i had too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abooth1179 View Post
    Does anyone know where to find either .060 or .080 in coyote tan? most sites just carry it in .093 which is to thick. i would be ok with buying a 4x8 sheet if i had too.

i think it is actually kydex cocoa #72047 but coyote tan sounds better.

Feedback Score
    Just a heads up, in making a carrier for a p mag the other day the mag deformed enough that it would no longer drop free. I was able to fix it with a little time in the oven and a c clamp, but thought i would warn everyone none the less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    I have deformed my Glock, I pressed a few holsters without a mag and the well concaved. I now have a slightly oversized piece of wood, a standard mag runs the risk of nolonger dropping free
    Same issue.

We made a spreading jig and were able to return the magwell to correct spec's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So, in my current "adventure" in Kydex, I got to thinking... almost every pistol holster you see has the higher body side portion to act as a sweat guard and to ease reholstering. Why don't the magazine carriers have this? So, this evening, I'm going to mold some M&P magazine holders with a higher body side, just like the pistol holsters have. I think this will aide in reholstering magazines when doing reloads with retention. I'll post some pics with the progress as soon as possible.

Any reason this isn't being done now?
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast