Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a Kydex holster Picture Tutorial

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    So, in my current "adventure" in Kydex, I got to thinking... almost every pistol holster you see has the higher body side portion to act as a sweat guard and to ease reholstering. Why don't the magazine carriers have this? So, this evening, I'm going to mold some M&P magazine holders with a higher body side, just like the pistol holsters have. I think this will aide in reholstering magazines when doing reloads with retention. I'll post some pics with the progress as soon as possible.

Any reason this isn't being done now?
    Not a bad idea. It would also help when carrying without an undershirt on, right now my homemade mag/flashlight combo rides so close it digs in and can even scratch skin during draws.

I guess one downside would be less area to grip during a draw since a mag/light is just straight up and down and does not have an unencumbered grip area like a pistol.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was thinking that, but for the most part, the surface of your hand on the magazine(rounds forwards) is on the outside of the magazine to begin with. I will mess around with it as soon as I can convince the wife that stinking up the house again is a good thing.

Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Was thinking that, but for the most part, the surface of your hand on the magazine(rounds forwards) is on the outside of the magazine to begin with. I will mess around with it as soon as I can convince the wife that stinking up the house again is a good thing.

What do you mean, hot kydex smells good! Actually, it's when you grind Kydex that it smarts smelling...

After trying it, I think a sweatguard would interfere with my mag draw, but there are ways it might work.

Post it up when you do it!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    I make my magazine holsters with a mini body shield. Most people wouldn't think anything of this, but I like it, because it makes it easier to put mags IN. It is small enough that it doesn't impede getting a grip on your reload. Some folks might opt for no body shield, if using compact mags. Some folks might opt for no body shield, just because they've heard it's no good. Whatever - I'll make them either way. My personal ones have the shield.

You can barely see the abbreviated black body shields on the mag holsters in these photos:

Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    I make my magazine holsters with a mini body shield. Most people wouldn't think anything of this, but I like it, because it makes it easier to put mags IN. It is small enough that it doesn't impede getting a grip on your reload. Some folks might opt for no body shield, if using compact mags. Some folks might opt for no body shield, just because they've heard it's no good. Whatever - I'll make them either way. My personal ones have the shield.

You can barely see the abbreviated black body shields on the mag holsters in these photos:
    Damn, and I thought I'd seen a lightbulb over my head last night.

I wasn't thinking anything like an inch and a half or anything and it appears you didn't either. Just a little so there's a point to "index" on when inserting/reinserting a magazine.

Thanks for posting pics of those.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post

Very nice! These make sense and I use small lips as well as slightly flared edges to make "reholstering" easier. I was thinking of full-sized shields to eliminate body rub, especially with mag edges and flashlight bezels.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Seems you guys are thinking along much the same line I was. Since my mag holster is designed to be worn behind the hip, I thought it would be nice if I could make it a little easier to put a mag in without looking. Some people have asked me to make a straight drop mag holster, for wear in a more upfront position. I don't know if I'll do the body shield on those, or not.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and there is the land of Bliss. ~ Miyamoto Musashi

DISCLOSURE: I represent SECRET CITY WEAPONEERS, purveyor of K-25 Multi-Role Concealment Holsters. I may, therefore, be biased...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A small shield seems like a great idea. I can't tell you how many shirts have been cut because they got pinched.

Feedback Score
    NTAC uses a body shield on his magazine carriers.

http://ntacholsters.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=29

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So, in my current "adventure" in Kydex, I got to thinking... almost every pistol holster you see has the higher body side portion to act as a sweat guard and to ease reholstering. Why don't the magazine carriers have this? So, this evening, I'm going to mold some M&P magazine holders with a higher body side, just like the pistol holsters have. I think this will aide in reholstering magazines when doing reloads with retention. I'll post some pics with the progress as soon as possible.

Any reason this isn't being done now?
    I believe NTAC does this, but don't quote me. I know someone who mentioned trimming a guard back on their mag carriers from them though...

I've made a handful of mag carriers with a sweatguard over time. I'm torn whether I like it. I did trim away any material outside of the mag so that it wouldn't interfere with indexing a fresh mag. It cut down on some of the "pinching" but without removing the side material (what you would see with a mag holstered) it made reloads a little more fumbly. When I removed the needed material, durability was questionable. I do have some customers who requested this and greatly prefer it though...

And like any good custom shop - we will do this. Just ask...
    Last edited by Steve S.; 03-22-11 at 00:16. Reason: Info

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast