Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a Kydex holster Picture Tutorial

Feedback Score
    Little tip.. Short MALICE clips make great belt loops. The holes they come with are 3/16", so if you're using 3/16" stainless hardware from the local Home Depot, no modifications are even required to use the MALICE clip on 1.75" or 1.5" belts. I have found that long clips can also be used, but they must be cut down and holes for the locking tabs must be cut out. They work just as well as far as I can tell, but it aint pretty. I use MALICE clips exclusively on all my Kydex gear now... Its very economical, damned near impossible to break, extremely secure and allows for easy donning and doffing.
    Pax-
    How about a few photos showing the malice clips on holsters and mag pouches for us unimaginative ones?
    Semper Paratus
    (Always Prepared)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unfinished holster with MALICE clip belt loops:

In the above shot, a short clip is used on the right and a cut-down long clip on the left. have noticed no difference in printing between the two. I imagine that holes could be cut in them at any length for any length belt without issue, but I've only done it with my 1.5" and 1.75" belts. Again, the holes in them are 3/16" and Ive found that no locking washers are necessary if you simply bolt them to your holster and torque the hell out of the nuts. The plastic of the MALICE clips will, with enough force, deform and allow the nut to sink into it. This will prevent it from backing out. Locking washers on the Kydex, if you plan on bolting your pancake holster together as opposed to riveting, are absolutely necessary.

The ride height featured in this photo has since been addressed with new wings. All hardware was blued and the holster deburred entirely.

Keep in mind.. If you size your holes in the Kydex properly prior to drilling them out, you will be able to move gear directly from your belt to MOLLE platforms without modifications or tools. Like so:

These are unfortunately the only photos I have of MALICE clips on Kydex gear. Ive got a spare mag carrier with them right here... But no camera. Sorry. Same execution though, sans the wings.
    Last edited by Pax; 09-08-11 at 02:56.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For belt loops and other doodads, I've made molds. It makes for very consistent and repeatable Kydex items. Theyr'e simple to make - I just hinge a couple of short lengths of 2x6. Only tools I used to make them were a radial arm saw and a belt sander. I just heat up the Kydex, clamp it in the mold for a few minutes.

The iPhone case below uses a MALICE clip. The holes in the clip are already 3/16, so I just mount it to the case with 3/16 inch rivets.

Last edited by Hmac; 09-08-11 at 15:32.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Unfinished holster with MALICE clip belt loops:

In the above shot, a short clip is used on the right and a cut-down long clip on the left. have noticed no difference in printing between the two. I imagine that holes could be cut in them at any length for any length belt without issue, but I've only done it with my 1.5" and 1.75" belts. Again, the holes in them are 3/16" and Ive found that no locking washers are necessary if you simply bolt them to your holster and torque the hell out of the nuts. The plastic of the MALICE clips will, with enough force, deform and allow the nut to sink into it. This will prevent it from backing out. Locking washers on the Kydex, if you plan on bolting your pancake holster together as opposed to riveting, are absolutely necessary.

The ride height featured in this photo has since been addressed with new wings. All hardware was blued and the holster deburred entirely.

Keep in mind.. If you size your holes in the Kydex properly prior to drilling them out, you will be able to move gear directly from your belt to MOLLE platforms without modifications or tools. Like so:

These are unfortunately the only photos I have of MALICE clips on Kydex gear. Ive got a spare mag carrier with them right here... But no camera. Sorry. Same execution though, sans the wings.
    Dude, that thing looks painful.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    For belt loops and other doodads, I've made molds. It makes for very consistent and repeatable Kydex items. Theyr'e simple to make - I just hinge a couple of short lengths of 2x6. Only tools I used to make them were a radial arm saw and a belt sander. I just heat up the Kydex, clamp it in the mold for a few minutes.

The iPhone case below uses a MALICE clip. The holes in the clip are already 3/16, so I just mount it to the case with 3/16 inch rivets.

Hmac, That's impressive and inspiring!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Dude, that thing looks painful.
    It wasnt.. But Ive since ditched it anyways and started from scratch again.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ok guys I need a little help, I am looking for tan kydex. I need it to be .060 or .070 thick. Any ideas where to find this ?
    Thanks
    Odie

Feedback Score
    The local plastic house has .028" Kydex. Is this thick enough for holsters or just a waste of time?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odiesplace View Post
    ok guys I need a little help, I am looking for tan kydex. I need it to be .060 or .070 thick. Any ideas where to find this ?
    Thanks
    Odie
    Knifekits.com

Feedback Score
    My latest, Sig SP2022:

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
    www.Renegade-Armament.com
    01 FFL/03 SOT
    NRA Pistol Instructor

Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast