Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a Kydex holster Picture Tutorial

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Damn fine post....

I progressed from thinking that some Kydex holsters are just to expensive to understanding that they are pretty fairly priced...

I learned a lot..Thanks!
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    This is very nice. I really do appreciate the time and effort you put into creating this thread.

I've given a lot of thought to making some kydex sheaths for some of the fixed-blade knives I have. Have you run into any differences in the process for a knife?

Thanks again for your time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    A. how strong are the belt loops and B. are you taking orders yet?
    A) The belt loops shown are from .080" kydex, I have since stepped up to .120" for the loops and it makes them MUCH stronger. Like anything though, they will eventually wear out.

Nope, not looking to start any kind of business. I make a few for others here and there if I have their gun or access to one. Other than that, I just do it for fun.

B_C[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This is very nice. I really do appreciate the time and effort you put into creating this thread.

I've given a lot of thought to making some kydex sheaths for some of the fixed-blade knives I have. Have you run into any differences in the process for a knife?

Thanks again for your time.
    Yes, add two layers of masking tape to the entire blade to give it enough clearance to draw/insert without scratching the blade. The key to a good fixed blade sheath is dialing all the retention into the handle. If its going to get a lot of use, add a thick wire (think coat-hanger) straight off the knife tip and out the bottom of the sheet to make cleaning easier... DAMHIK
    Last edited by Rezarf2; 10-16-10 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Great thread! When can we start placing orders?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKULL1 View Post
    thanks.. awesome post.. but i am better off buying one than making one..

i will end up spending more if i tried...
    Yup...been down that road too. I convince myself that I'll be saving money in the long run when realistically I never do. That and I'd end up getting pissed about messing something up and wasting the whole project.

Great tutorial. I always dig learning how that sort of stuff is made and have a profound appreciation for the craftsmen who do this well. I don't mind paying for quality work, especially when I have understand the effort that goes into the process.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What's the scoop on that foam for the press. Any good sources?

Feedback Score
    Excellent tutorial with great info. Awesome job!
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Having worked with Kydex, it is very labor and time intensive.

To be sure, working with Kydex is fun, therapeutic and often, we can make things not readily available on the market. The downside is, unless one is set up for mass production -- there is almost no profit margin per unit. As a hobby, it's great for making friends some great handcrafted gifts -- but don't expect to make any money one unit at a time.

Kydex holsters aren't cheap because a lot of work, e.g. time, effort and human handcrafting skills go into them.

Working it myself and seeing this tutorial makes me appreciate my favorite Kydex manufacturers: Comp-Tac and Raven Concealment Systems even more.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    Great post. Thank you for sharing.

Doc Williams
    U.S. Army Combat Medic/Flight Medic Retired
    1987 - 2013
    Flight Medic Class 4-95

http://www.dustoff.org/

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thumbs up

Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to post this. The finished holster looks great.

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast