Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to build an AR pistol

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Want to build an AR pistol

in .223 / 5.56

This will be my first build. I have owned an M&P 15 for about two years and have taken in apart in almost ever possible way as I was always adding stuff to it. So, I am comfortable with all the tools and procedures for building an AR. But now I have a few questions.

Is a 10.3"barrel considered a pistol length? I ask because Daniel Defense has one and labels it as "pistol".
    I'll get DD flash hider and a low profile gas block.
    Am I correct to say that this will then require a pistol length gas tube?
    I also want to put a DD 9" free floating Omega X quad rail on it...is this possible?

All this will be housed on a DD upper and DD lower, DD bolt carrier assembly and charge handle.
    Behind everything, I plan on having a Spikes Pistol Foam buffer tube and assembly.

I do know I'll need to get the lower sent to an FFL dealer.
    But, is there anything that I am completely missing here? Anything "special" I should know before diving off into this?

Thanks for everyone for the help. I am obviously a newbie here, so please keep the flaming to a minimum if I sound like a jack ass and missed something that should be blatantly obvious.

-Mike

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At the Richmond, VA gun show today I saw a "gangsta" dude buying some PMAGS for his new AR pistol he just had built at the show... The barrel was so short I thought it a TOY or an AIRSOFT, but sure enough it was real... The barrel must have been 8" or so long, it was short...

Anyways, it got me to wondering exactly how reliable this AR pistol was going to be, how much flame would shoot out the barrel, and if it was going to be used in some kind of gang warfare... If self-defense, I would be nervous of the reliability...

So I will find it of interest to see the replies to your request...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Mike,

You are missing alot.

A 10.3" can be considered a "pistol" as long as it doesn't have a stock and it's put together properly.

No you don't need a pistol length gas tube. It uses a carbine length gas tube.

Yes, you can install a rail on it.

As for the lower, all you need is a stripped lower.

Now, I will give you my thoughts on the AR pistol. You can look at some of the other threads in this area. They are a novelty and serve no purpose. You would be better of purchasing or building an SBR (if legal in your locale) or sticking wtih a real pistol.

There are several reason for this that I have discussed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    in .223 / 5.56

This will be my first build. I have owned an M&P 15 for about two years and have taken in apart in almost ever possible way as I was always adding stuff to it. So, I am comfortable with all the tools and procedures for building an AR. But now I have a few questions.

Is a 10.3"barrel considered a pistol length? I ask because Daniel Defense has one and labels it as "pistol".
    I'll get DD flash hider and a low profile gas block.
    Am I correct to say that this will then require a pistol length gas tube?
    I also want to put a DD 9" free floating Omega X quad rail on it...is this possible?

All this will be housed on a DD upper and DD lower, DD bolt carrier assembly and charge handle.
    Behind everything, I plan on having a Spikes Pistol Foam buffer tube and assembly.

I do know I'll need to get the lower sent to an FFL dealer.
    But, is there anything that I am completely missing here? Anything "special" I should know before diving off into this?

Thanks for everyone for the help. I am obviously a newbie here, so please keep the flaming to a minimum if I sound like a jack ass and missed something that should be blatantly obvious.

-Mike

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In the CONUS PSD or close protection world, a 10.5 M4 set up with a pistol lower allows one to bypass the normal laws associated with registered SBRs, if you need such a weapon or if your client wants to visit a State that does not allow SBRs.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As stated above, the only reason for me to have a "pistol" lower is:
    I can carry it loaded in my vehicle legally with a CC permit
    I can cross state lines into a state that honors my CCP

I much prefer an SBR for the stock.
    With a single point sling, the pistol can be fired with accuracy.
    I can also get a decent cheek weld on the buffer tube.

As for the 7.5", velocity is lost over a 10.5"
    Fireball is intensified
    It runs dirtier
    Proper ammunition will still provide decent stopping power 100 yards and less, which is what the 7.5" should be used for.
    Barnes Tri Shock is a good choice.

I don't agree with the range toy thought on the 7.5". at short distances, it is still quite lethal.
    It's still a rifle bullet at over 2000 fps.
    Ideal? Maybe not. But not a toy.
    Last edited by shadow65; 10-17-10 at 14:01.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With that long of a barrel, it will be pretty heavy and un-balanced. Even my 7.5" is not light and balanced enough to shoot like a pistol. As long as you know and expect it to be that way, then 10.3" is fine.

Reliability of mine has been 100%, but only 500-700 rounds fired (also as the upper on my SBR). With the FSC556 comp on it, some brands of 5.56 send enough crap out the comp that if I wear short sleeved shirts, my support side arm will get tiny little impacts of something that makes me bleed. It is incredibly loud and concussive- rattles your teeth if using the receiver extension like a kiddie-length rifle stock. No problem with flash in the daytime, but at night the flash looks like a great firework, although not obtrusive enough to affect firing accuracy. Recoil is not a problem at all, especially with the FSC556.

I've also run it with a suppressor. Makes it sound about like a .22 pistol.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies and info thus far.

I am still looking forward to this build, as it will by my very first one from the ground up. But I have developed a few more questions, if ya don't mind...

When I order my stripped Daniel Defense lower receiver, and have it sent to my local gun shop (FFL), do I just register it as a pistol on the transfer form right then and there? Do I choose "other"? please help...

As I understand it, from reading lots on the web, since this will never have a stock on it, (just the spikes pistol buffer tube), I do NOT need to register it as a SBR. Therefore I do NOT need to register and send off for that tax stamp thingy. Is this correct? Or do I need to jump through a bunch of hoops to buy a stripped lower, then dress out in all the pistol hardware like a sub 16" barrel and pistol buffer?

I am concerned and ask because in my research, I have seen terms like "illegal" and "jail time". Scarry shit! I just want to make sure I'm legal with my plans. That is to have all the above mentioned stuff sent to my house, and a stripped lower sent to my dealer. Or should I expect the feds to come knocking at my door if they ever intercepted these facts that I purchased, and had all this gun parafanalia, and short barrel for an AR-15 platform sent to my house?

BTW, I live in Texas. Thanks y'all.

Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know the specific laws for your state, but scoot over to the ATF website and I'm sure you will only be a couple clicks from your answers regarding laws and classification of pistols. Best of luck.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    From an ATF/fed standpoint, you don't "register" the lower or declare it as a pistol or any other crazines. When your dealer transfers the stripped lower to you, you fill out part of an ATF form 4473 Firearms Transaction Record and he fills out part. He will list the lower as the firearm being transferred with make, model, caliber and TYPE. It is a "receiver." Then you build it into a pistol. There's no SBR issue here. Here's some simple rules:

You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but you may not turn a rifle into a pistol (unless it was a pistol before).

You may NOT put a stock on a pistol. Your rifle must have a barrel length of 16" or greater (unless it is an SBR or MG).

You may NOT put a forward vertical grip on a pistol (unless registered as an Any Other Weapon or MG).

This is the simplified version. Don't sweat too much, but you definitely would benefit from reading some of the stickies and other threads here, or check ATF FAQ.

I don't know about Texas law regarding transfers, gun registration, or special weapons.

Hope this helps...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Once you put a stock on a "pistol" lower, it is a rifle from that point on. It cannot be switched back and forth legally, from what I understand.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast