Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire x300 new and old lumen output...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Surefire x300 new and old lumen output...

I have noticed that the x300 is rated for 170 lumens now. Does anyone know if there are really two different output levels of the x300? Perhaps you have a new "marked" x300 and one from last year or older?

I only ask because I know that SF lights tend to be under-rated from the factory, and I wonder if they wised up and just re-rated the light verses added new components to actually make it brighter.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks in advance-

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nothing?...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    They redesigned the lamp/bezel, the output was upper from 110 to 170 lumens.
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I sent my "old" X300 to a gentleman who is a member of CPF and he tested it in his light sphere. It started out at 210.8 lumens at 1 sec and after 3 mins, settled at 203.1 lumens measured OUT THE FRONT with primary CR123's.
    My serial number is A299xx. The box is marked "110 Lumens". Underrated? Hell yes.

The CPF link to the stuff I had tested.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=691
    Last edited by 021411; 10-18-10 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    I sent my "old" X300 to a gentleman who is a member of CPF and he tested it in his light sphere. It started out at 210.8 lumens at 1 sec and after 3 mins, settled at 203.1 lumens measured OUT THE FRONT with primary CR123's.
    My serial number is A299xx. The box is marked "110 Lumens". Underrated? Hell yes.

The CPF link to the stuff I had tested.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=691
    I'm curious, how was the lumen output measured? Is there a special device that is used or is it based on known distances that become visible within range of the light output?
    Last edited by SmokeJumper; 10-18-10 at 23:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
    I'm curious, how was the lumen output measured? Is there a special device that is used or is it based on known distances that become visible within range of the light output?
    Lumen output is just a figure that tells you how much total light is coming out of the front. It doesn't tell you anything about how far the light will give you useful spotting assistance. The beam shape determines how useful a light is at a distance and lumen output doesn't tell you squat about that. Lumens are only useful as a comparison between lights that have similar or identical beam characteristics. (floodlight vs. floodlight or spotlight vs. spotlight, TIR vs. TIR etc)

What is commonly used as a metric for that ('throw') is lux output - lux is how much light is emitted onto a predetermined area, usually measured at some distance from the light, and in the center of the beam. The idea being that the higher the lux in the center of the beam, the more of the total output is being focused into a tight hotspot. However the best way is of course to compare lights via consistent photographs of things being lit up at known distances, and even better is to use the Mk1 eyeball, of course that's not always possible before a purchase.

Lumen output, that is total light output regardless of beam shape, is measured using an implement called an 'integrating sphere'. It's basically an enclosed sphere where you insert your light, turn it on and fancy electronic stuff I don't understand measures the output and tells you what it measured on a computer screen. Obviously proper calibration is key here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_sphere

I'm not sure how Surefire measures theirs but since they consistently underrate their lights I guess they have their own proprietary methodology.
    Last edited by joffe; 10-19-10 at 03:47.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I swear sure fire was the only company I know of that consistently under-rated their own product by such a large measure. Even the new measurements they are using seem to be underrated by about 10%.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My understanding is that the lumens were increased with a redesigned bezel and they were not just re-rating the same light, but I've been wrong before.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Joffe,- Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I figured it was around 50%, since my buddies were really proud of their home-cooked 200 lumen units, and wondered why my silly X300 seemed brighter.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast