Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reload for self-defense rounds?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Reload for self-defense rounds?

I tryed searching this but kept getting errors.

What to you all think. I have never had one of my reloads fail to fire, however I have had a couple of factory loads do so. My thought is I can precisely control everything from power charge, primer seating, case length, crimp. I also have the ability to select what I perceive to be superior brands for all of the components. So why would I not want to trust myself to load my own defense ammo and not rely on mass produced ammo?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    I tryed searching this but kept getting errors.

What to you all think. I have never had one of my reloads fail to fire, however I have had a couple of factory loads do so. My thought is I can precisely control everything from power charge, primer seating, case length, crimp. I also have the ability to select what I perceive to be superior brands for all of the components. So why would I not want to trust myself to load my own defense ammo and not rely on mass produced ammo?

Thanks
    I've always heard that it's not advisable to use handloads for self defense because of the possible legal ramifications. I guess it could be something that the bad guys attorney could use against you. Personally, I've never heard of any "good shoots" were handloads were used, so I can't be positive.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a few mags of ammo built with this in mind. I checked every primer, weighed every completed cartridge, etc.

I've had a few Federal rounds fail to fire over the years. They were out of the Premium loads.. not practice ammo. I won't use any Federal ammo for defensive purposes.

Hand loads are a non issue if you are involved in a justifiable shoot.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    I've always heard that it's not advisable to use handloads for self defense because of the possible legal ramifications. I guess it could be something that the bad guys attorney could use against you. Personally, I've never heard of any "good shoots" were handloads were used, so I can't be positive.
    I can see it might be an issue if you are loading hollow points and filling them with mercury and and capping them, but if you aren't using magic lead, powder, brass, or primers I can't see where that argument would hold any water over why did you purchase FMJ vs Rangers (or whatever). That is a good point though.

Feedback Score
    This is where my single stage presses come back into play, making hunting ammo and carry ammo slowly and carefully with many checks. I trust my own QC over the unknown.

I currently have a nice load developed using Hornady XTP's for my .45. Feed, function and accuracy are great. Not only that, I can practice, practice, and practice some more without breaking the bank or hoping the gunshop has more in stock.

Hand loads are a non issue if you are involved in a justifiable shoot.
    Pretty much my opinion, and I am sure as hell not going to "volunteer" that info either. Let alone open my yap and critique the shoot, "What do you think Officer? another 1/2 grain of powder I think I would have gotten a little better accuracy and expansion at this range, can I ride along to the morgue and look at my slugs?"
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A justifiable shoot is a justifiable shoot.

That said, if I were do to this I'd likely be replicating an existing factory performance loading, which would negate some of the advantages of handloading.
    I do have a good degree of trust in LE grade patrol ammunition from places like Black Hills, Federal, Hornady, Remington - but having the ability to create my own clone of a favorite load OR pick up that loading from a retailer is a pretty good compromise.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    A justifiable shoot is a justifiable shoot.
    +berzillion

No one has ever been charged for using handloaded ammo in a justifiable shooting, ever.

Feedback Score
    A justifiable shooting is only that AFTER it has been reviewed.

Till it's reviewed by:

The responding officer
    The detectives who responded to the call
    Crime scene people
    The detectives again reading the crime scene report, witness statements, checking your facebook page for the statements of how you were going to kill him...ect...
    Their superiors
    The prosecutor (and maybe his superior)

It's a Homicide under investigation.

Everyone imagines that the incident they have will be one in which everything goes according to plan, that the guy who attacked you will be a 3 time felon with a kidnapped girl in the back of his car and so forth...

In that case, use handloads. Use a gun with "Smile. Wait for Flash" Engraved into the muzzle.

Nobody will care.

However, if real life intrudes...and it may...

You may be faced with the unenviable C/F's of a situation such as:

1 The attacker began to turn when he saw you reach for the gun and your shot ended up hitting him in the back.

2 He didn't fall down and die like he was supposed to when hit with DPX, and you had to dump 8 rounds into him

3 The knife you thought was in his hand was a Motorola Razor cell phone (It was dark, and we all know how that happens...)

4 You made a statement to the police swearing that he had a knife in his hands (not a formal statement...but a statement none-the-less...and it was a LIE...or a stress induced perceptual error...OR A LIE TO COVER YOUR ASS...Which one? The police and the prosecutor do not know...)

5 You have a history with the deceased. He is you your ex-wife's brother who didn't like the face you had a GOOD divorce attorney and that you took the cheating whore to the cleaners, and she ended up with nothing...But...the deceased isn't a bad gun with a record. It looks like 2 solid citizens who had a fight and one killed the other...

So, after shooting your ex-bro in law who you swear had a knife and was going to kill you (oh, yeah...no knife...oops...) and making a statement to the cops (lying to them to cover yourself...) and shooting him in the back 8 times...

You REALLY want to add handloads to the mix?

Fine.

The moment I hear about that in a client's case, the bill goes up another $15K, and I call Ayoob to ask how much he'd like as fees, and if he wants a bank check or wire transfer.

Feedback Score
    strawman much?

Ok Mr. Lawyer, show me where someone was successfully prosecuted, or prosecuted at all for using reloads instead of factory in what was otherwise a good shoot.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not sure if this helps or not but this has been a topic of discussion within our agency for some time.
    I'll paraphrase what one of the prosecutors said. If deadly force is authorized, it really doesn't matter if you shoot someone with factory loads designed for defense or a handload (provided that the components are not altered).
    Law Enforcement Memorial
    In Valor There Is Hope - Tacitus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast