Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reloads with mixed headstamps??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i only due it with my bolt rifle. As lousy as i shoot it, i dont know why i do but i do.
    Last edited by sparky241; 10-20-10 at 22:43.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

- I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery

Feedback Score
    I've reloaded thousands of 9mm over the years. I was told early on that due to the very limited space in the 9mm case and the differences in space from brand to brand that I should separate cases by brand. I did this for years, then got lazy and stopped. I don't load to high pressure, I load for competition, low recoil, muzzle blast, etc. The few times I have loaded a batch of high velocity loads I used once fired brass in good shape from one manufacturer. Case capacity will effect pressure, velocity.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    No problems at all pistol/rifle for blasting. When it is range pickups of questionable origin, I will review headstamps looking for the rare Berdan primed brass. Ruins your day when you break your decapper pin.

I do sort only for my for my "match" rifle grade reloads. Lake City with common year.
    Glocks are functional tools and nothing else, hence they have no soul - Rob S.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In my plinking/practice loads, it does not really matter since I load to well under max which lends some headroom. When striving for the best accuracy or making hot loads then I sort.

There are other variables including the powder burn rate that can affect what happens with varying case dimensions so be careful. Fast burning pistol powders can spike quickly.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    The bulk of my loading is for handguns although I'm doing more rifle since I picked up a 6.8 spc. One thing I did do was pitch every military .38 spl case I found as the walls are thicker and I'd end up with a case that needed to go through the sizing die twice. It wasn't worth the bother. If I'm working up either a 'accuracy load' or one that is near max pressure (very rare) I'll seperate brass by headstamp and times used. I've found that the plastic tubs that coffee comes in are great for this.
    Last edited by Ironnewt; 10-22-10 at 12:25. Reason: grammar
    "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12