Thread: Looking for help: 2 lamps or FO?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Looking for help: 2 lamps or FO?

Recently purchased my first 9mm Glock, a model 17 that still has the dreaded factory sights. I need to replace these sights ASAP and also upgrade a few other key areas (Vicker's mag release, extended slide release. etc..), but I am having trouble deciding upon which configuration is right for me. I definitely want to get a set of Warren Tactical Sights, but am torn between a plain rear with a fiber optic front and a set of their two lamp night sights. I had always thought night sights were the way to go, but after listening to Travis Haley's philosophy on sights from the Dynamic Handgun DVD's I'm not so sure anymore. Plus the idea of a large front that is easily identifiable to my eyes is definitely appealing.

I have a SA 1911 with Novak 3-Dots and these have really been a pain for me. I have trouble maintaining a clear front sight and they are just too small for me to shoot accurately and consistently. Whatever style of sights I decide upon, I plan to switch my 1911 over to the same style.

I carry a light as part of my EDC, but its not always a larger tactical light. I want to mount an X300 on the Glock as soon as I get some more cash in the gun fund, but my 1911 is non-railed. Also, when using the X300 in low light conditions would also render the tritium useless. I also want to have some consistency between sight platforms, since I carry both pistols now on a regular basis.

So what say you? Do I go F.O. on both platforms and always carry a light or 2-Lamp night sights on both pistols and cover my butt in case I forget?

***Forgot to add: these guns are carry guns, but I also am slowly making the move into competition style shooting.***
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 10-25-10 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I say go with the two lamp setup as you can always paint the fro.t sight a bright color. And if your x300 breaks you have sights still. To see.