Thread: Questions about Hornady Superperformance Match. And 5.56 in general.

Feedback Score

Questions about Hornady Superperformance Match. And 5.56 in general.

First question:

Is 5.56x45mm generally considered better than .223?

Second:

http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem...ormance-match/

Does anybody have their hands on this? And is there any gelatin tests on it? Write ups etc?

How would this fair against Nosler Custom Competition BTHP 77 gr.?

Terminal Ballistics, and Accuracy wise? I'm not looking for barrier penetration.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Yes. 5.56 operates at higher pressures per spec so it should always have 100-200 fps edge over .223

They aren't truly interchangeable but because of the lower pressure a .223 can always be safely fired in a 5.56 chamber but a 5.56 cannot always be safely fired in a .223 chamber.

Feedback Score
    I knew the last part, but thanks anyways.

Does that mean that 5.56mm will always have a higher ballistic coefficient?

I've heard of .223 being better because you can use it in ANY 5.56mm or .223 rifle. Which is a sound concept to me.

But if the terminal ballistics/range are identical then I'll be pretty indiscriminate about what I run. Right now, I have Hornady TAP T2, BH Mk. 262, and Federal 77 gr. As SHTF ammo.

For practice, Hornady brass cased FMJ.

Does anybody know anything about the Superperformance Match?
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    B.C. is roughly independent of velocity, but only gets better the faster the bullet is going for certain bullet designs so .223 will never have an edge over 5.56 for that.

The advantages of .223 as you said is the ability to be used in any firearm and it is slightly more accurate for some reason according to benchrest people but I'm not sure why.

The main reason why you see .223 defensive ammo is because it garners the largest possible market and sounds civilian which matters in some legal jurisdictions.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Supermatch.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondguess View Post
    B.C. is roughly independent of velocity, but only gets better the faster the bullet is going for certain bullet designs so .223 will never have an edge over 5.56 for that.

The advantages of .223 as you said is the ability to be used in any firearm and it is slightly more accurate for some reason according to benchrest people but I'm not sure why.

The main reason why you see .223 defensive ammo is because it garners the largest possible market and sounds civilian which matters in some legal jurisdictions.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Supermatch.

223 rifles are more accurate (everything else being equal) because they have tighter chambers than 556. The looser 556 degrades accuracy.

This is why Noveske created their "combat match" chamber, the Wylde chamber, ect. They are chambers that don't lose accuracy like a 556 chamber does yet can still fire 556 rounds.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    I knew the last part, but thanks anyways.

Does that mean that 5.56mm will always have a higher ballistic coefficient?

I've heard of .223 being better because you can use it in ANY 5.56mm or .223 rifle. Which is a sound concept to me.

But if the terminal ballistics/range are identical then I'll be pretty indiscriminate about what I run. Right now, I have Hornady TAP T2, BH Mk. 262, and Federal 77 gr. As SHTF ammo.

For practice, Hornady brass cased FMJ.

Does anybody know anything about the Superperformance Match?

556 shots a lot flatter for me. For instance with my Mk12 clone rifle with 556 77 grain loads at 500 yards Im down 27-30 clicks (.10 mils per click), and with 223 match loads its closer to 40 clicks.

Since 556 loads shoot faster there is less time for the bullet to drop, and less time for wind shift.

The best of both worlds is a hybrid chamber like the Noveske or Wylde chamber which can shoot 556 loads safely yet don't see the degradation in accuracy a true 556 chamber would see. The Mk12 uses a special hybrid chamber, too, which was made specifically for the Mk262 round.

Feedback Score
    So for long range performance, stick to 5.56 NATO?

Makes sense.

Any sources for good 5.56 Match ammo?

Or would you determine that by velocity?

Every brand I've tried lists as .223.

Hornady, Black Hills, Federal.

Looking for the best performance 77 gr. HPBT round, what would you recommend?

I'll probably still keep all the .223 I have on me though.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    So for long range performance, stick to 5.56 NATO?

Makes sense.

Any sources for good 5.56 Match ammo?

Or would you determine that by velocity?

Every brand I've tried lists as .223.

Hornady, Black Hills, Federal.

Looking for the best performance 77 gr. HPBT round, what would you recommend?

I'll probably still keep all the .223 I have on me though.
    You can sometimes find Hornady TAP T2 at ammunitiotogo.com, but you've got to be fast with the mouse because it sells-out fast.

Otherwise, Silver State Armory produces a 77 grain Sierra OTM load at 5.56 velocities that is meant to replicate Mk 262. It is good stuff, but not quite as accurate as the TAP T2.

Feedback Score
    According to Molon, whom I trust on the issue:

Buffalo Bore 77 gr. runs 2850 at the muzzle of a 20'' A2.

Does that mean it's 5.56x45 NATO?

It's listed as .223 Remington Rifle Ammo.

(BTW: I hate that the best performing round on paper has the least professional sounding name and packaging of all 5.56/.223 I've ever seen. )
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.