Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy Books

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Anatomy Books

I have virtually no medical or anatomy background, but I've been increasingly interested in learning how to patch myself (or others related to me) up in case of emergency. I've enrolled in a local Red Cross first aid / CPR class, but I figured it would also be good to have some understanding of anatomy. Which anatomy books out there would be good to learn from?

Bonus points if they're available from the Amazon Kindle store

Feedback Score
    Please don't dismiss this as a stupid answer or as me trying to be funny.

When I was doing my training we used anatomy coloring books. Yes, coloring books. They are intended for students doing anything medically related: Docs; physio's; nurses; paramedics; etc. If you have to spend half an hour coloring in a body part you tend to remember its shape and location.

I <cough> used to photocopy mine to practice multiple times.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    At chiro school we use the current version of Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy. Any version will do, really, but the current is 5th edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Human-An...7802144&sr=1-1

This is a good start.

I suggest you enroll in something a little more intense to get more exposure. Undergrad Anatomy courses are okay, but still very much lacking. Try to find one with a cadaver lab if possible.

Edit:

BTW -Netter is strictly anatomy -not to be confused with physiology- and is strictly an atlas of the human body. Most undergrad courses mix the two.
    Last edited by panzerr; 10-22-10 at 21:56. Reason: add'n info
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you are not going beyond 1st aid, even First Responder, you really don't 'need' a whole lot of in-depth anatomy knowledge. Really, do you 'need' to know where the clavipectoral fascia is to be good in first aid? Or the difference between the flexor digitorum profundus and flexor digiti minimi brevis? I would get a paramedic book or a basic, very basic, anatomy and physiology book to get started. The coloring book is very popular and really good.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post

When I was doing my training we used anatomy coloring books. Yes, coloring books. They are intended for students doing anything medically related: Docs; physio's; nurses; paramedics; etc. If you have to spend half an hour coloring in a body part you tend to remember its shape and location.

You talking about Gray's Anatomy?

http://www.amazon.com/Start-Explorin...7860591&sr=1-2

My son and daughter used those in high school, and I thought they looked pretty good.

I'd need a machete and native guide to find it in her room now, though. So I'm not able to offer a current, personal review.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That'd be the ones.

I also used flashcards.........can't remember whose but they are pretty much all the same.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...omy+flashcards

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'd need a machete and native guide to find it in her room now, though. So I'm not able to offer a current, personal review.
    I use GPS and a long piece of string to navigate around my daughters room.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I recommend a good first aid course, better yet would be EMT basic training, and learn the anatomy as it applies to first aid. Without that context, you'll end up just memorizing a lot of disconnected information that will leave your brain within a matter of weeks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I recommend a good first aid course, better yet would be EMT basic training, and learn the anatomy as it applies to first aid. Without that context, you'll end up just memorizing a lot of disconnected information that will leave your brain within a matter of weeks.
    He speaks the truth. A good course and continuous practice is the only way to go.

Personally, without the benefit of upto date practice I have forgotten most of what I learnt apart from the basics.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I know primary care doctors that have been in practice 20 years that have forgotten most of the anatomy they learned in medical school.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Rheydt View Post

That is not a stupid answer...coloring helps distinguish between the muscles and people remember much better this way.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast