View Poll Results: Which Super Dynamic model did you pickup?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • Super Dynamic Combat (SD-C)

75 32.75%
  • Super Dynamic Enhanced (SD-E)

80 34.93%
  • Super Dynamic 3 Gun (SD-3P)

79 34.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Geissele's new Super Dynamic Enhanced (SDE) Trigger unit

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Saying a good trigger is a crutch is like saying carrying a gun is a crutch. Because if you were a bad ass you would not need one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Saying a good trigger is a crutch is like saying carrying a gun is a crutch. Because if you were a bad ass you would not need one

Like a good trigger, carrying a gun IS a crutch ... If you don't practice self defense without a gun and frequently find yourself in situations without a gun.

And like a good trigger, both are great to have when you have them. There's no reason to ever not have them. But you need to either always have them or practice for when you don't, or you'll be unprepared because you're used to having your crutch.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 09-30-14 at 17:06.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    They are not a crutch more of a force multiplier

Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swatdude1 View Post
    This is great info. In regards to your comment about bump firing and a bullet hose, I still want accuracy. I have also noticed that 3-gunners tune their guns and ammo to exhibit very low recoil and muzzle rise, allowing them to get the most out of fast triggers. Follow up shots are going to be slower if you are shooting full power 5.56 and your sight picture is getting disrupted by the recoil or muzzle rise. I wish I could try one before I buy it. I am assuming you can get most your money back on the used market due to their popularity.
    Swatdude,

I 2nd SomeOtherGuy's observations regarding the SD3G vs. the other Geissele offerings. I've had the SD3G and currently use the SSA. I've also used the SSA-E. It is quick and easy to get down to the bullet-hose/bump-fire effect with the SD3G. The pre-travel , over-travel, and reset are all VERY short, making for a very easy high ROF (obvious from user videos). I've actually accidentally "bump-fired" the SD3G while shooting off of a bench (stock was in my shoulder) because I got a little lazy with my trigger follow-through. I thought the gun/trigger had doubled initially, but realized I was being a little less than deliberate on follow-through and I actually fired twice. What I didn't like about the SD3G was the loss of a crisp, clean, and predictable break of a 2nd stage for longer and more precise shots. The SD3G does have two stages and a break to it, but you roll right through both stages without hitting any sort of "wall," that you find with other two stage triggers. Again, this is fine for playing bullet hose, but poor for any sort of longer range capability (this is a rifle with an effective range of many hundreds of yards after all). Another minor issue I had was the flat "Super Dynamic," trigger face. Because it is flat it is a little difficult to get your finger in the same spot on the trigger face each time (could be low, or high and thus changing the leverage and overall feel). The standard bowed trigger face gives me somewhat of a reference point for my finger to find. This might just be me inventing an issue, but I prefer the feel of a curved trigger to the flat. The SD3G is available with a curved face as the Super 3-Gun trigger which actually pre-dates the SD3G.

The SSA fits my needs well as it allows for precision, and speed with some practice. If you want a little extra "go faster," consider the SSA-E. The SSA-E is a little lighter in overall pull weight, but still acts like a two stage. The travel and reset on the SSA-E are also shorter than the SSA which makes it easier to go faster right away without the 3-gun stuff.

My advice would be to work with the SSA that you currently have and evaluate how you shoot with it. Run yourself through some drills, with a shot timer, that emphasize split and transition times and see where you are at. While the SD3G might help a little with shot to shot time on one target it doesn't help much with proper target to target transition times. See if you are getting to the point where a hardware change would make a difference. If you do try out the SD3G at least you will have a performance baseline from you SSA to judge it against.

Feedback Score
    This is great advice. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    Swatdude,

I 2nd SomeOtherGuy's observations regarding the SD3G vs. the other Geissele offerings. I've had the SD3G and currently use the SSA. I've also used the SSA-E. It is quick and easy to get down to the bullet-hose/bump-fire effect with the SD3G. The pre-travel , over-travel, and reset are all VERY short, making for a very easy high ROF (obvious from user videos). I've actually accidentally "bump-fired" the SD3G while shooting off of a bench (stock was in my shoulder) because I got a little lazy with my trigger follow-through. I thought the gun/trigger had doubled initially, but realized I was being a little less than deliberate on follow-through and I actually fired twice. What I didn't like about the SD3G was the loss of a crisp, clean, and predictable break of a 2nd stage for longer and more precise shots. The SD3G does have two stages and a break to it, but you roll right through both stages without hitting any sort of "wall," that you find with other two stage triggers. Again, this is fine for playing bullet hose, but poor for any sort of longer range capability (this is a rifle with an effective range of many hundreds of yards after all). Another minor issue I had was the flat "Super Dynamic," trigger face. Because it is flat it is a little difficult to get your finger in the same spot on the trigger face each time (could be low, or high and thus changing the leverage and overall feel). The standard bowed trigger face gives me somewhat of a reference point for my finger to find. This might just be me inventing an issue, but I prefer the feel of a curved trigger to the flat. The SD3G is available with a curved face as the Super 3-Gun trigger which actually pre-dates the SD3G.

The SSA fits my needs well as it allows for precision, and speed with some practice. If you want a little extra "go faster," consider the SSA-E. The SSA-E is a little lighter in overall pull weight, but still acts like a two stage. The travel and reset on the SSA-E are also shorter than the SSA which makes it easier to go faster right away without the 3-gun stuff.

My advice would be to work with the SSA that you currently have and evaluate how you shoot with it. Run yourself through some drills, with a shot timer, that emphasize split and transition times and see where you are at. While the SD3G might help a little with shot to shot time on one target it doesn't help much with proper target to target transition times. See if you are getting to the point where a hardware change would make a difference. If you do try out the SD3G at least you will have a performance baseline from you SSA to judge it against.

Feedback Score
    Without the opportunity to put lots or rounds downrange with both to make an informed decision, how would someone who's only ever fired factory stock triggers know whether the straight or curved face is a better choice for a general purpose just for fun rifle?
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Elephantrider's comments mimic my experience with the SD3G, right down to the bump fire at my range while doing an accuracy test box. I have the curved trigger, and put the heavier of the two provided springs in for test box work after that experience. It's time to put the lighter one back in now.

I also have a SSA-E. I don't do three gun, but I prefer the lighter weight for precision shooting. It doesn't seem too light to me, and I can control it well on faster shooting.

As to curved vs. flat, what do almost all rifles have whether they be for hunting or recreational use? That should be the answer for what's best for general purpose.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    Without the opportunity to put lots or rounds downrange with both to make an informed decision, how would someone who's only ever fired factory stock triggers know whether the straight or curved face is a better choice for a general purpose just for fun rifle?
    As darr3239 pointed out, for general purpose use the choice of the curved trigger face is an obvious one. Most firearms use a curved trigger and work well with one. If you look back at the beginning of the thread there is a discussion of the flat trigger bow purpose (mainly to increase trigger feel sensitivity). For me the flat face just didn't feel right, less consistent, compared to the curved.

If you want to decide between the two, you do not need to put a ton of rounds down range with each. Some dry firing with each should let you know which you prefer.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738