Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MK12 optics discussion

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

MK12 optics discussion

@stickman. Starting a new thread so we don't muddy up the picture thread.

I run a 1-8.5 LPVO on my 16" SR-15, and have shot it to 1000 yards, on full size silhouettes, using MK262/77 Nosler loads. Not an easy task but it's doable.

I had a 4-16x Vortex HS-T mil/mil on my 18" MK12 Mod 1 style upper. That was a great setup and I liked the sleek lines of the smaller objective. The downside is that it was SFP and would drive me nuts not having the reticle scale to the magnification.

As mentioned in the picture thread, I am putting together a Mod 0, and have a Nightforce 2.5-10 with the ARMS rings to make it look more correct, but again not FFP. More recently I picked up a 4-16x42 ATACR, with mil reticle and FFP, for when I want to shoot a little further.
    Last edited by MarshallDodge; 05-31-23 at 13:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm kicking around a few ideas. The MK12 using a 2.5-10 was pretty darn effective, but regardless of how high speed they were, they weren't using the same selection of optics which I have currently (better and worse). The 1-10 Vortex Razor seems like it would cover the original intent of that weapon platform pretty nicely. However, I'm not sure that I really care what the original intent was when I won't be using the same optics. That brings me to a few different thoughts.

First idea, is to pull my 4-16 FFP Vortex and use that, but it sits pretty happily on my KAC LPR shown below. I know people will comment saying that the LPR deserves nicer glass, but this scope does well on this and I have no complaints.

I also have a free Trijicon 3-9x40 illuminated which needs a home, but it doesn't really seem to jive with the entire MK12ish feel. I pulled it off the below while I rebuild that MK12 cut down 16" barrel into something else. While this might not be my first choice, it is a nice clean piece of glass... and it isn't currently spoken for by any other weapons. That might be enough to make it the winner.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got this Trijicon 1-6, but I really don't feel like 6x is enough of anything to target ID or shoot out far enough. I need to up those rookie 6x numbers up, but like the other Trijicons I own, it is a nice sharp piece of glass...

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I should have started out my post showing this weapon, as this is the one I'm talking about setting up with an optic. Its hard to complain about this setup the way it is, but there is a part of me which wants to make it different or better. There is also a large part of me that wants to save the Vortex 1-10s for 308 projects which are upcoming.

Stick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    https://youtu.be/uyDZvxSZ5Cg

When I was looking for an optic for my 16" I was looking at anything from $600-2500nf) and after 2 months of research I did go with the glx 2.5-10.

I really didn't want to give my money to them but damnit the fact that the illumination sucks it did everything I needed and didn't have an extra grand on the price tag for shit.

I was almost wanting to get a night force but did some reading and no thanks.

I didn't make my choice on the above video but it was a help in the right direction.
    .I also watched a lot of c_does videos in addition to reading.

The 3-9 is dead and an lpvo on a "dmr" is stupid.
    I remember reading a post somewhere I forget that went on about how scopes work with a lot of math way above my head about why an lpvo should be 1-4 and a 1-6 could be acceptable if you don't mind reduced performance at max zoom.

To make a 1-10 really work you need to step out of the "short dot footprint".

As much as I want a legit mk12 this is as close as I will get.
    The concept is definitely over though for magnification and I don't have a compromise for the low end.

Somewhere in here is a discussion about the spr/mk12 scope concept.
    It's still a good listen if you will but Brock goes on a tangent about scopes for this ranged ar15 in 223/556.

https://www.youtube.com/live/IoV5trMN5W0?feature=share

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don’t have any pics with the scope mounted on my Mk18 Mod 1 (KAC Lower, KAC handguard, Geissele trigger, Rainier Arms Ultramatch 18” barrel—not clone correct but my version) but on top currently sits a 3.5-18 Eotech Vudu FFP. It works well for the gun but definitely doesn’t fit the OG Mk12 profile. It is a large scope for the gun but it is what I had around and I needed glass for it.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I think that MOD0 PRI handguard really limits you visually to a period correct Leupold and ARMS rings...

My supposedly very correct MOD1 MSTN upper has a Leupold M3 which was as close I could get to the real SPR optic back in the day, but I couldn't bring myself to use ARMS rings.
    I really want to put something more powerful on it but it just wouldn't look right no matter how great it shoots...

Good Luck Stick!

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the new Leupold Mk5 2-10 could be an outstanding SPR scope. Smaller footprint but still had a 10x upper magnification range for distance shots. Still has an adjustable parallax for precision at range. Not horribly expensive.

The 3.6-18 Mk5 would be another good option if you want more magnification.

I have the 5-25 Mk5 on my custom 308 bolt gun. It really is a hell of a scope for the money. Is it as good as my 7-35 ATACR? No. But it was literally half the price.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I think the new Leupold Mk5 2-10 could be an outstanding SPR scope. Smaller footprint but still had a 10x upper magnification range for distance shots. Still has an adjustable parallax for precision at range. Not horribly expensive.

The 3.6-18 Mk5 would be another good option if you want more magnification.

I have the 5-25 Mk5 on my custom 308 bolt gun. It really is a hell of a scope for the money. Is it as good as my 7-35 ATACR? No. But it was literally half the price.
    I'm starting to like the Mk5 but it has taken a little while. I had a good friend who bought the 5-25 when it first came out. He sent it back to Leupold twice because it wouldn't dial accurately. I guess the second time fixed it. Another guy on snipershide had a similar issue. More recently I have spoken to a few guys at the range with the 3.6-18, and they are happy with them.

Nightforce has the NX8 line. The 2.5-20 with the Mil-XT looks like another good option. I just wish they had the smaller objective, like a 40 or 44mm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just acquired my first MK12, which recently arrived from Centurion Arms. After some research and deliberation, and consideration of $ as well, my initial glass for this rifle is a Trijicon 2-10X36 FFP in Mrad. Most reviews of this scope are very positive, and I understand the negative aspects (not daylight bright, no parallax adjustment). The glass is very good, weight and size is reasonable, and I really like the reticle. I am an admitted FFP fan for sure. I like the idea of the Mk5 2-10 but when you figure in rings (35mm) as well as scope $, more than I wanted to initially invest. Maybe later.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast