Thread: US Optics VS Schmidt & Bender

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

US Optics VS Schmidt & Bender

I would be using the optic for long range shooting, hunting and shtf bolt gun. Either going to be .308 or .300 win mag.....

I want to end up with a variable scope and have pretty much narrowed my search to either US Optics or Schmidt and Bender. From what I have been reading you could pretty much compare these two like Mercedes is to BMW. Is that correct? Who else is in their league or is that it? What one would you prefer and why? Also what reticule would you choose. They confuse me, there are so many to choose from!

THX

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I don't really have any experience with USO but Ive been using SB optics for a few years now, and am very pleased with them.

My 3-12x50 has the Gen II mil-dot. Its not really precision oriented but is meant for military use. If you want a more precise reticle get the P4F which has fine lines.

Id also recommend getting mil turrets (.10 MRAD per click) as opposed to MOA turrets. Its a little bit quicker to make adjustments, and once you get used to the mil system its a little better.

Also heard a lot of good things about Premier, and they have a USMC contract now.

Feedback Score
    You really cant go wrong with either scope. I have a USO SN3 on my bolt gun, its a 3.2-17X with mil windage and mil EREK elevation. The nice thing about USO is you can build the scope to about any combo you want..Reticle, tube size,type of turrets, moa or mil,objective lens size, etc. Plus there customer service is top notch, and in the US.

Feedback Score
    what is EREK? I saw that didn't quite know what it meant. Also what makes 1/4 moa 1/8 moa etc turrets better than one another?

I am a newb when it comes to scopes and their details for the most part. I just know the brands well.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by payj View Post
    what is EREK? I saw that didn't quite know what it meant. Also what makes 1/4 moa 1/8 moa etc turrets better than one another?

I am a newb when it comes to scopes and their details for the most part. I just know the brands well.

1/8th would be better for making fine adjustments at long range.

For instance at 800 yards a 1/8th MOA adjustment would be 1" per click. 1/4MOA would be 2" per click.

.10 mil is .36" per click so they are a little courser than 1/4 adjustments but finer than 1/2 MOA.

The thing with finer adjustments is it takes longer to make adjustments since you have more clicks to go through. I think .10mil clicks are fine enough you can easily hit torso size targets yet you aren't having to go through tons of clicks to get there. 1 click at 1k yards with .10 mil clicks is 3.6" so you still have lots of precision per click.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Be aware that when making adjustments you're rarely making minute ones so consider Belmont's words very carefully. He knows of what he speaks.

The most important thing is in the tracking of the adjustment. Being able to quickly dial in your dope for a given range pays great dividends. 1/2" or even 1" clicks can be very useful for speed but if they can't track they're not worth much.

S&B's have a huge following and while great scopes there are many worthwhile competitors, among them USO. At SHOT the year I went I saw the USO booth driving nails with one of their scopes.

Based on the suggestion of Scott at Liberty Optics my scope choice was a Premier Reticle for two reasons. First it has a .1 click but at every mil gives you a solid "clunk." This makes it a very fast scope for large adjustments and still fine enough for small ones. Second with a 34mm diameter tube it is very clear at night and the adjustable rheostat doesn't overwhelm your targets. For the money (it still ain't cheap) it's a very hard scope to beat.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 10-24-10 at 17:32.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen