Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the next one on my list

Feedback Score

What makes 'em junk?

So I've seen some of you say that Para & Kimber are a bit lower in quality. What makes you think so? I have minimal experience with both companies. I've never heard badly of Kimber or Para. I just personally don't like Glocks I can say I have owned one..... For about two hours. I was lucky enough to pick up a Glock 23 in .40 for $300. I called a buddy who needed a gun for the Police academy and sold it to him, but that’s a different story.

The main reason I have discounted Glocks for carry is two main reasons. No exposed hammer and no "safety" switch. I do know that they are just feel good switches, but that’s just me.

So if anyone has a personal experience, link to hard evidence, or anything against Para please post it, I'm still leaning toward the GI expert, but I am always looking for more info on a purchase.

$500 is still a large amount of money to me, and anything over $800 is just about out of reach for me right now.

Like I said in the original post CC is not legal yet in my state, and I won't be buying a "defensive only" handgun until it is, If I can buy a fun gun that will satisfy that use too, I'm all for it.

Feedback Score

NEVER MIND

After a bit more searching I have discounted Para. MULTIPLE reviews stating that the hammer dropped when the slide was released.

Clearly NOT anything I want in any gun

So now the search is brought back to square one.

Who has thoughts on a Springfield GI?

Or should I just search for a decent used 70 series Colt?

Starting to realize that quality comes with a price, why can't manufacturers just sell things at cost?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    I vote decent used colt series 70 or Springfield Mil-Spec

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    FWIW, you may want to check out the Rock Island 1911's. They fit the budget category and have some nice features. Here is a link to a great review... http://www.m1911.org/ezine/RIATactical.htm Personally, I say save up and pay the extra. Shop gunbroker for a good 1911 with a new retail of $1500+. You will have less worries and more confidence, especially if you plan to carry. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Leading contenders would be a Springfield Armory "Loaded" model, Colt New Series 70, or Colt XSE.

If you're talking defensive purposes, any of the sub 1k 1911s will need a qualified person to go through them to ensure they are going to work 100%.

Also know that for defensive purposes, in the sub 1k price range, you're much better off with a Glock or M&P.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm not a 1911 guy, used to have a Kimber (excellent), but sold it. A friend of mine recently pointed me to a new 1911 from Desert Eagle. Looks pretty loaded for the price.
    NevadaGunOwners.com | Reno4x4.com | GOA Life Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sff70 View Post
    Leading contenders would be a Springfield Armory "Loaded" model, Colt New Series 70, or Colt XSE.
    For the last hour or so, I've been google-ing the "Loaded" and I like it. I think I have a new front runner!

Now I have to go to the gun shop and handle one of these......... aww shucks

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Last edited by coyote hunter; 10-28-10 at 01:12. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    I have Colts, WC's, Les Baers, Ed Brown's and custom built 1911's. I have managed to break something on all brands.
    I have found out you get what you pay for in 1911's. Buyer beware! My G30's and G21' work longer and require less attention but they do not "FEEL" right. My XD45 tactical work well but the FEEL is not right. Nothing feels, shoots, looks and give as much satisfaction at a quality 1911.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    I'm in a similar boat, I'm looking for a 5" full size to compliment my two carry 1911's, an aluminum Kimber Compact and a Dan Wesson Commander CBOB in 10mm.

The full sized will be a "range gun" and I'm trying to choose between a Kimber Custom II, used Colt 70/80 and I recently discovered the STI Spartan which sells in the just over $600, however I've yet to find a local dealer with one I can fondle.

I checked out a couple of RIA's yesterday a Government model for $399 and their "Tactical" model for $499. The $399 had an as good a trigger as my Kimber and better then the Dan Wesson, and on par or better then a new $975 Colt XSE Commander I tried out at the shop.

I couldn't get over how good the $399 gun "felt".

The $499 Tactical had a bit of creep and a mushy safety.

Regarding the Spartan, from my understanding STI sends their internals over to the Philippines and RIA/Armscor assembles the the components inside their frame and slide.

I'm really liking the wife's M&P9c and I started out thinking I needed a FS M&P as a range gun in .45acp. So it's difficult to make a decision.

I may just go with a M&P and a trigger job and call it good...but I'm going to check out some "low end" 1911's for now.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can buy a "cheaper" anything and it might work great. Its just you are rolling the dice as it has already been stated. I looked at Scottsdale Gun Club for a friend yesterday, and they sell SA Light Weight Operator $1,099. That would be a great starter IMHO. They sell online as well.

Very tight fit, a little lighter for carry ( But not light 34oz). If you could swing that $$$$, you would be GTG.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast