Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foliage or FDE

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Foliage or FDE

uh, this is embarrassing... but I'm looking for some new carbine furniture and am trying to decide on the color.

I know, I know, petty, right? but I am looking for people's reasons for why they chose one or the other. is there any actual advantage or is it just fashion?

currently, my guns are all black with the exception of one FDE buttstock and a couple OD Ergo Grips. my web gear is a mix of FDE, ACU, and OD. I have FDE slings on all my guns.

any input?
    Last edited by ra2bach; 10-25-10 at 12:45.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Different colored furniture can actually help break up an all-black rifle. I prefer OD but I'd take FDE over "foliage" any day. Last time I checked, real foliage is much closer to OD and even FDE! I wouldn't mind it that much if they called it "urban"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I went with FG on my first self-build. FDE makes sence in some environments, but lets say something happend where I would have to use the rifle in anger, a tan/sandy color in the woods of NJ would make no sence. I found that out the hardway when I went to play paintball in old as desert cammo BDUs lol. Stood out like a sore thumb.

Honestly, I like the FG look. Just my $0.02
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've thought this many times but never thought to post about it! Right now, I'm running all black and a mix of FDE and black. I have some OD and Foliage XTM panels around somewhere since I like the look of all four mixed. I'll be sending some FDE furniture out for digicamo soon. I just like to mix it up.

Yes, it can break up the lines. But I don't see much need for that for civilians or LEO's. It's just for looks in my humble opinion though I'm sure some will say there's a need. Military, sure it makes sense. A buddy runs OD and foliage mixed which looks ok. On another rifle he has FDE and foliage, that looks ok too.

I think it just gives us more reasons to buy multiples of items we only need one of per gun.

Hope you enjoy whatever you get.

Jonathan

Feedback Score
    I'm limited to black by my dept, but for any personal rifles I might put together in the future, I'd consider my environment. FG mages more sense to me in a Midwest urban environment that FDE. If you want to be a little different, look at Magpul/LaRue's UDE (urban dark earth). It's what I would have picked had I needed the whole, which is the only way it's sold IIRC.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    You can buy the XTM panels and PMags separately, but the grip, stock, and foregrip all come together in a kit.
    Last edited by SteveL; 10-25-10 at 14:36.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    its just going to all depend on the enviorment your going to be in look at where you are and go from there if your just looking for a cool color i would go with fde.
    DEATH SMILES AT US ALL, ALL WE CAN DO IS SMILE BACK

Feedback Score
    I personally prefer OD, or from what I've seen in pictures KAC's FG. Which looks like OD to me.

However the general consensus is that FDE blends in with more places.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    FG.

Try it out, but I think you'll find that FDE does not make sense for most of North America outside of the SW.

FG seems to also do well in an urban environment, where it blends into the cement, grays, and other in between shades than OG. The gray/green in the color helps to break things up, but not stand out.

Feedback Score

Foliage Rocks!

Some folks by occupational situation may be limited on their choices, but -- having no necessity for chose a particular color scheme, we pick what's fun for us; my wife shoots pink mags with her FDE. She has no trouble at all telling which mags are hers. And I suspect my Colt in Foliage will run as well as yours in the color of your choice, too. It is also far harder to demonize a gun which sports a variety of colors instead of appearing like an evil assault weapon seen on TV/movies. So go for it, enjoy being different.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast