Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SA LW Operator

Feedback Score
    He replaced the extractor, firing pin stop, firing pin, recoil spring plug, recoil spring, rear sight, ambi-safety, grip screw bushings, grips, front strap high cut and golf ball treatment, as well as re-doing the trigger and performing a reliability tune in order to make the pistol function correctly. Keep in mind that before Chuck fixed it, this pistol had already been to a well known custom shop and had a Barsto barrel installed and a host of other customizing. I’ve had over a dozen 1911’s customized by various “big name” pistol smiths, but I have gotten rid of a third of them, because they did not prove 100% reliable and another third had to have additional expert pistolsmith attention in order to finally run correctly.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 10-29-10 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks for the info, that's interesting. I guess it's really draw of the luck with 1911's. Out of the many i've owned there was only a handful that didn't run out of the box, SA GI Micro (3") & RRA Elite Commando (4.25"). I was the most disappointed with the RRA because it was my first semi custom 1911 and it was really nicely made on the outside but the feed ramp, slide and frame rails where so rough (tool marks) that it would hardly cycle or feed....and to top it off they refused to even look at it. This was about a year or two before they quit making handguns.
    I've also had/have a Kimber ultra CDP and Pro CDP that I bought used and they had some failures to return to battery which was fixed with replacing the recoil springs.
    Anyways, for the most part I was lucky with my 1911's.
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 10-29-10 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    "I guess it's really draw of the luck with 1911's."
    Nope, it is NOT luck. It is all about the skill, experience, and attention to detail of the person assembling the pistol. Unfortunately most stock, semi-custom, and even fully custom pistols are not built correctly and with sufficient attention to critical details. There are very few individuals around who truly understand how and who are willing to put in the necessary time and painstaking attention to detail in order to build a fully reliable and durable duty/carry 1911...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12