Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Help Rail Related Geissele

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Need Some Help Rail Related Geissele

I’m building a precision rifle based off a Colt and V7 18” barrel, 5.56mm, most likely shooting MK262 MOD 1 ammo.

The rail I am looking at is currently the G MK8 M-LOK 15” long.

Can you members here who have experience with the G rails give me some guidance? Please and thank you?

Pros/cons-strength/weaknesses. I’m set on M-LOK even though I have no preference between the 3 known mounting systems. I’m a quad guy ar heart but have no issues using M-LOK or KEYMOD.

TIA!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I want to first start off by bitching about Geissele's lack of 7.0 rails now. That's not worth it's own thread, but I had to get it off my chest.

That said, any of the G rails are solid. I like the ones with pic rails at the end for Bipod attachment. I won't ever use any sort of Mlok nonsense. I just don't like it. But we've run the Mlok rail on the Super duty gun or whatever, and it's a rock, just like my Mk4 rail.

I'd LOVE to get his rifle Quad rail, but I can't justify $500 right now.... I'd pretty much end up building a gun around the rail.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They all mount the same. I don’t know if the MK8 is really any better than a 14 or 16 for a precision role other than having more room under the gas block for the mlok nut if you end ip needing one there.

I like the G rails a lot.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've run Mk8 rails on precision builds before. In fact, I have a 15" Mk8 on the shelf waiting for whenever I get around to building another precision upper. I may pair it with a 18" or 20" Criterion Core barrel for a modernized DMR setup.

PROS:
    Barrel nut doesn't need timing
    No issues with normal lo-pro gas blocks contacting rail
    MLOK hardware should have proper clearance
    Doesn't have the McDonald's straw feeling that some thinner rails do
    Stout

CONS:
    Not the thinnest rail
    Not the lightest rail
    Not the cheapest rail

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I've run Mk8 rails on precision builds before. In fact, I have a 15" Mk8 on the shelf waiting for whenever I get around to building another precision upper. I may pair it with a 18" or 20" Criterion Core barrel for a modernized DMR setup.

PROS:
    Barrel nut doesn't need timing
    No issues with normal lo-pro gas blocks contacting rail
    MLOK hardware should have proper clearance
    Doesn't have the McDonald's straw feeling that some thinner rails do
    Stout

CONS:
    Not the thinnest rail
    Not the lightest rail
    Not the cheapest rail
    Well put. My MK 4 also has sharp edges. Not the end of the world, but a nice bead blast or whatever would make the pic rail notches a little less aggresive.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I've used 15" MK4 and MK8 rails and they are very solid and well-suited to precision builds, imo. I can't really think of any downsides for that application other than price, I suppose, or if a quad rail was a necessity. If M-lok is wanted, there is always Larue to consider as well for a rock-solid rail.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ive owned about every rail they G has ever made minus keymods, and all have been rock solid. Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're spending that much may as well spend a little more and get the Mk18 16" with the Arca rail.
    Still has M-lok on the bottom if needed.

I was looking at that one for my 18" but that's a bit much for me right now.
    Already have an Arca mount bi-pod and am looking to get a better tri-pod and Arca clamp instead of saddle clamp.
    That rail is much cleaner looking than adding Arca plates to something.
    Others have them for half the price but those look pretty sweet.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I’ve used a MK14 and MK13. I found both to be well made, and pretty sturdy once mounted. Installation was really easy, as there is no need to time the barrel nut. My only gripe is that they heat up fairly quickly compared to the KAC quad rails, and PRI tubes that I’ve used for most my other projects. I do realize that the MK8 isn’t as stream lined as the aforementioned MK14 and MK13. The heat issue isn’t limited to Geissele alone, as I’ve experienced similar heat soaking with a Mega monolithic upper that I put an 18” DD barrel in.

Pros: Very well made, easy install, looks cool for Instagram.

Cons: Potential heat soak, may not come with the proprietary barrel nut tool anymore.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 02-20-23 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I was looking at that one too. In your opinion, do you think the added cost of having the ARCA is worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    If you're spending that much may as well spend a little more and get the Mk18 16" with the Arca rail.
    Still has M-lok on the bottom if needed.

I was looking at that one for my 18" but that's a bit much for me right now.
    Already have an Arca mount bi-pod and am looking to get a better tri-pod and Arca clamp instead of saddle clamp.
    That rail is much cleaner looking than adding Arca plates to something.
    Others have them for half the price but those look pretty sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast