Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob19606 View Post
    I did the same 50yd zero as I did w/ my 16" DD, and at 100yd it was still grouping about 2" high, but when I went back to 200yd, the group was pretty consistent at about 4" low (where my 16"DD was only about an inch or less low)

Does a 14.5 barrel slow the bullet velocity down, and would a muzzlebrake slow it even more?
    The groups were pretty tight, but just a lil lower @200yd than I had anticipated.

Thanks for any feedback/insight!

what ammo? it sounds like something weak like PMC? was it heavier than 55grain?
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, and yes! LOL

PMC 62grain. However, it was the same ammo that I was using in my DD 16" that was about 2" high (at 100yd) and zero'd at 200yd

Feedback Score
    Great Thread Molon I will be going out and sighting in my AR again after I paint it this winter. Again thanks for the great info.
    WFD
    EMR
    FF

Feedback Score
    I have a Colt 6920, 1:7 twist 16in. detachable carry handle, firing xm193, and I followed the IBZ instructions and was able to group very well at 100 yards using -6 clicks, and I also grouped very well at 50 yards, -4 clicks using the small, unmarked aperture. My question is if I return the rear setting to 6/3 and use the 0-2 large aperture will my rifle shoot POA/POI inside 0-200 yards? Thank you in advance for any responses.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    In Houston were are recommending the 50 yard zero.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDERSEN View Post
    ===============================

Just curious, what does "Houston" have to do with the zero and who is "we" (or were)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDERSEN View Post
    Who's we?
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PureBS90 View Post
    I have a Colt 6920, 1:7 twist 16in. detachable carry handle, firing xm193, and I followed the IBZ instructions and was able to group very well at 100 yards using -6 clicks, and I also grouped very well at 50 yards, -4 clicks using the small, unmarked aperture. My question is if I return the rear setting to 6/3 and use the 0-2 large aperture will my rifle shoot POA/POI inside 0-200 yards? Thank you in advance for any responses.
    What the 0-2 sight is for is fighting inside of 200 yards. It's not supposed to be a precision shooting aperture. Short answer, no. Long answer, Yes, if you were capable of lining the front sight post up dead center of that aperture consistently, and hold it there, you would theoretically shoot POA/POI or very close to it. I have yet to meet anyone who can do it consistently.

For precision aimed shots, use the small aperture, even inside of 200. For quick target aquisition using iron sights, use the 0-2 sight, but don't adjust your elevation to use it, because it really serves you no purpose. Just put the tip of the front sight post relatively in the middle of the aperture, and pull the trigger. It's basically a bullet hose sight, as it realistically would only be good for suppressing fire on an area.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub75 View Post
    Molon,
    like the above poster,
    I am using a RDS. I do not get anything like the 50/200 IBZ. Granted, I am using a 10.5" SBR w/ 69gr handloads. However, I zero at 50yds, and even at 100 yards, I am seeing an approx 3-4" drop. At 200yds, I was about 6" low. Does the IBZ not apply to a RDS since one is not looking thru the rear aperature to the front?
    TIA, and thanks for all your helpfuls posts. Truly appreciated.

Yes, I would like to hear from people running 70-75 grain ammo out of shorte barrels as well. I am running 70gr tsx and 75gr otm's out of a 14.5" using an aimpoint, and when I zero at 50 I am a good 2" high at 100. 100 yards is all I I currently have access to. So how is the hevier stuff doing out past 200 with a 50 yard zero?
    Last edited by kenndapp; 02-07-12 at 20:21.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Navy SEAL Rich Graham on "Battle Field Zero"

A great explanation of the M4 zero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgyRBqcsRcE

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast