Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic556 View Post
    A great explanation of the M4 zero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgyRBqcsRcE
    There is much better info in a single thread here than in that video.
    Nothing against Rich, just sayin'.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Oh I know man. This thread is top notch! Some guys just need the simple part explained with crayons and a white board. I have had to explain the fact that bullets do not generate "lift" and flight like the foil on wings to too many buddies. Figured some guys would "get it" with the explanation.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Wink AR 15 Zero

I found that the US Army sighting targets will get the job done fairly good.

Feedback Score
    A great thread with well stated information. Thanks for efforts.

One quiet range day, this discussion came up.

Our patrol rifles are zeroed at 50 yards. The training
    includes firing at 7 yards to demonstrate the height over bore relationship between POA/POI. The theory being that a threat at relatively short range is exposing only a small portion of their head and the POA would have to be at the top of his head to strike between the eyes.
    Assuming this theory is valid, if the height over bore is 2 ¼ inches, and we zeroed the sights so POI was 2 ¼ below POA at a distance of 5 yards (or whatever), would the results be a 50 yard zero.
    We tried it just for kicks and it appears to provide a reasonable zero. Adjustments are very critical.

Again, thanks for the invaluable information, well illustrated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdvr View Post
    Assuming this theory is valid, if the height over bore is 2 ¼ inches, and we zeroed the sights so POI was 2 ¼ below POA at a distance of 5 yards (or whatever), would the results be a 50 yard zero.
    We tried it just for kicks and it appears to provide a reasonable zero. Adjustments are very critical.
    I believe the sights on an M4 are about 2.6" above the bore axis...

Feedback Score
    Just a big "thanks" for this thread -- Got more usable info and more understanding on what's going on 'in the air' from the first page of this thread than the sum total of everything everyone has tried to explain to me.

Looking forward to sighting things in with a a little more confidence.

Feedback Score
    Yes thanks a lot guys! This thread is very helpful to a newbie like myself. Gives me a much better understanding of bullet trajectories. Thanks for the information.

Feedback Score
    I'm getting ready to change to a 11.5" upper for work. I use the 50 yard battlezero on my 16" now. Is the 50 yard zero as flat & useful on the 11.5" as it was on my 16" barrel? Duty ammo is Hornady TAP 55gr and both barrels have a 1:7 twist. Thanks for any/all help.

Stay safe.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thumbs up

Great info! Thanks.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ninja View Post
    I'm getting ready to change to a 11.5" upper for work. I use the 50 yard battlezero on my 16" now. Is the 50 yard zero as flat & useful on the 11.5" as it was on my 16" barrel? Duty ammo is Hornady TAP 55gr and both barrels have a 1:7 twist. Thanks for any/all help.

Stay safe.
    A 50 yard zero is basically going to be the same between the two. For LEO work, you're almost better off with a 100 yard zero. It's a flatter trajectory and holds are simpler. That and your zero basically means that 300 yards is about your maximum range before you get severe bullet drop. For LEO work, if you're shooting your patrol rifle farther than that, you dun goofed.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast