Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
    Looking for custom turrets? Take a look at these TURRET LABELS for about $25.00.

http://customturretsystems.com
    Those are pretty neat, but aren't really applicable to this thread. I'd recommend posting in the optics sub forum.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    suggestions: add elevation and drop next to POI, add a few dimensions for the target, and maybe move POA to the head (the dot I drew is 2 MOA at 100 yards)?

Great graphics but I would still suggest everyone to actually go out and confirm the longer ranges (if available) and not just assume where your POI will be when zeroing at 25 or 50 yards.

Last edited by johnson; 03-25-15 at 05:45.

Feedback Score
    Can you do the 10.5 with 400 and 500 added, both 55 and 62 gr? Might go to the 500 yard range and try to see how I can do at that distance with it. Add fake legs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3Revreant View Post
    Thought this might assist in getting a better m4 zero in low light conditions or persons who have a hard time seeing the target. PM me with your email if you would like the file so you can print and use this target.

Are you still offering to email the file for this target? Thanks in advance.

**Edit** Found some target threads. Thanks !
    Last edited by Christopher; 05-12-15 at 20:22.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Molon: what software did you use to create the ballistics graphs in your posts?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Swede View Post
    Molon: what software did you use to create the ballistics graphs in your posts?
    Oehler's Balistic Explorer
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    I'm trying to explain to a young shooter what to adjust to get an approximate 50 yard zero by telling him how many clicks to move the front sight. He wants the irons for 50 yards and less, and will use some kind of optic for anything further. The reason for knowing how much each click of the front sight results in what change in POI is because he doesn't want to be out there all day wasting ammo!

Right now he's got a 16-incher with standard front sight post and the carry handle. I had him check to make sure the base of the front sight post is flush with the opening in the front sight base--check.

He says that at around 50 yards this results in a POI somewhat higher than the target. I told him to go measure how much higher while I ask you guys how much of a shift in point of impact occurs at 50 yards with each notch in the front sight post.

We are NOT talking IBZ or RIBZ, but leaving everything stock. I also believe we are talking .223 pressures and not 5.56 ammo.

Are the adjustments different for a standard A2 sight on a carry handle versus, say, a Magpul rear BUS?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    Awesome! But where's the 75 gr data?
    (sorry, I had to ask...)
    I didn't want this thread to get too complicated, so I just used the ubiquitous M193 and M855 for examples. I'll post another thread with reams of 75 grain data.

The zero changes with every barrel length/muzzle velocity change....

If you understand the concepts you should be able the figure out your near-zero/far-zero points from a ballistic calculator, which you can find on the web....and your own particular rifle/ammo combination.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I'm trying to explain to a young shooter what to adjust to get an approximate 50 yard zero by telling him how many clicks to move the front sight. He wants the irons for 50 yards and less, and will use some kind of optic for anything further. The reason for knowing how much each click of the front sight results in what change in POI is because he doesn't want to be out there all day wasting ammo!

Right now he's got a 16-incher with standard front sight post and the carry handle. I had him check to make sure the base of the front sight post is flush with the opening in the front sight base--check.

He says that at around 50 yards this results in a POI somewhat higher than the target. I told him to go measure how much higher while I ask you guys how much of a shift in point of impact occurs at 50 yards with each notch in the front sight post.

We are NOT talking IBZ or RIBZ, but leaving everything stock. I also believe we are talking .223 pressures and not 5.56 ammo.

Are the adjustments different for a standard A2 sight on a carry handle versus, say, a Magpul rear BUS?
    The type of ammo and pressure will not change the amount of elevation or windage change per click of the sights.

With a 16" barrel the elevation change is about 0.8" and the windage is about 0.4" at 50 yards.

Feedback Score
    This is one of the most informative posts I have ever read. Thank you for the info.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast