Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories

Feedback Score
    This is an awesome thread but I've still got a question. I was a 249 gunner from 2008-2015 and I had an acog issued to me. I zeroed at 100 meters, confirmed it every six months, was good to go.

I just bought an acog for my ar15, and living in the people republic if illinois, was able to find a 75 yard range. I used the zeroing target for m4s with acog for a 25 meter zero so I should be on the money for 100 meters; but what I'm trying to determine is what should the distance between the point of impact and point of aim for an acog firing at 75 yards (until I can find a 100 meter range)

Thank you all!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingWolf View Post
    This is an awesome thread but I've still got a question. I was a 249 gunner from 2008-2015 and I had an acog issued to me. I zeroed at 100 meters, confirmed it every six months, was good to go.

I just bought an acog for my ar15, and living in the people republic if illinois, was able to find a 75 yard range. I used the zeroing target for m4s with acog for a 25 meter zero so I should be on the money for 100 meters; but what I'm trying to determine is what should the distance between the point of impact and point of aim for an acog firing at 75 yards (until I can find a 100 meter range)

Thank you all!

What ammunition are you zeroing your weapon to shoot?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    What ammunition are you zeroing your weapon to shoot?
    55grain m193.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingWolf View Post

Thank you all!

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
    http://appliedballisticsllc.com/ballistics/

About 0.8 inches below POA at 50 yards, about 0.3 inches below POA at 75.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    You all rock! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    I realize this is old ground for most; however, I have my personal rifle zeroed at 50 yards, thus giving me my second zero at approximately 200 +/- (I can't recall the exact distance, seems like it was around 220). However, my tactical team insists on zeroing ALL rifles (5.56 and .308) at 100 yards. Their reasoning? If you're zeroed at 100 yards, anything you'd be justified in engaging that's over 100 or under 100, you know you need to "hold over" with your point of aim. I know a 100 yard zero is pretty standard on sniper rifles for tactical teams, and I'm sure we'll be stuck to that for a while.

But on the 5.56 rifles, it makes more sense to me to zero at 50 yards and then you know whatever your point of aim from about 10 yards out to about 220 yards, your point of impact should only vary from about 1.5" either above or below point of aim. In a high-stress situation, place the red dot on your target and shoot - don't goof with trying to remember how much you need to hold over at a certain distance.

Does anybody have any experience or caveats with the two zeros and their practical use in a tactical environment? I've made my case a few times, but it always seems to return to the old adage "this is how we've always done it and we're comfortable with it."

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I do. I was at the range at least twice a week with my rifles. Everything from running drills to bangin steel at 600 with the M4 and the Shawty. I had both rifles zeroed at 50yds. The M4 an 11.5" ran T1s but the M4 had a 3x magnifier. The KiNo had an A2 carry handle.

Anyways the reason I zeroed at 50 was because of the trajectory as well. The best advice I can give is shoot your rifles often and get to know exactly where they hit. I knew exactly where I had to aim or hold over at certain distances because I trained often with my rifles.

It's hard to understand how guys can zero it once and take it to the range once every 6 months and still use these at their home for defense or SHTF whatever.
    The only way to know your weapon is to train with it. Too much difference in ammo,barrel length etc to ask someone "where will my bullet go if I Zero at 25?" Go shoot it an learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    I completely agree, and I do have comfort in knowing we shoot often and know our rifles pretty well. It just seemed to me there's less opportunity for error in a SHTF scenario with a 50 yard zero. Thinking along the KISS lines, I like to take as many variables out when possible.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I love that zero. When it came to versatility it works great. Couldn't have been happier with the drills even at 15 yards....on point. Anything out to 50 was perfect. The T1 I had was the 4moa. Accuracy was on point. Head shots were right where I put them.

The benches were about a hundred yards to the right, I didn't have to touch anything. For head shots at that distance, my POA was about 6" and with a 4moa dot, it was about the reticle height.

300 yards took a little more patience but was still easy after walking it in.

600 got to be difficult in two ways. One was the wind, in the sense of not being able to hear the 62 grain round smack the plate....two was holding over. The dot completely covered the man sized silhouette steel,mwhile didn't matter since I was holding over about 10'. I know it was more than that but at that distance it was hard to gauge
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    Good stuff to hear. I haven't used my 5.56 with that zero past 300. Like you, I've got an Aimpoint on it and find you really start needing some magnification for repeated hits and consistency out at distance. Usually whip out the .308 for work past 300. I'll have to give it a whirl though! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast